Vertical stringing

My magneto speed doesn't touch the barrel. I think that doing load development without seeing your velocity numbers per shot is loading blind and a waste of components. Not saying you can't get to the same outcome but your going to waste some components
My magneto speed doesn't touch the barrel. I think that doing load development without seeing your velocity numbers per shot is loading blind and a waste of components. Not saying you can't get to the same outcome but your going to waste some components

I run a wiser mount also , I have definitely had groups open up and even stringing issues even with that mount . U can't expect to have barrel harmonics stay the same while developing a load to shoot the same with it off the barrel so I do really like the wiser mount from that aspect. Typically I'll use my magneto if I'm doing a quick velocity check or something like that or some varmint load developing that's not very critical because it's so compact and easy to set up . I prefer my Oehler 35p first , then my lab radar and I'll use my magneto last if i must if I'm doing slight more precision work where I don't want my group info potentially influenced . All three DEFIANTLY have their place but I don't like something forcing muzzle blast back towards the bullet only from one side even though the magneto is knife edged . Try shooting without the magneto just to rule that out......I have had a few instances where the magneto actually tightened up some groups but I didn't shoot it that way long .......I really looked stupid walking threw the woods with my magneto strapped to the barrel !!! 😂😂😝joke
Who knows ....... just give it a try without too

Its good your chrony is not touching your barrel.
Forgot looking at the chrony for now, its not going to tell you anything, just look at the targets.
Powder charge and seating depth are your two main tuning tools. Neck tension and primer choice are important, but you should find decent accuracy first. Ladders are good for roughing in a load before shooting groups and picking components. If the ladder looks bad, no point in shooting groups, try a different powder. If none look decent, pick a different bullet and start over. Once you shoot a ladder that looks decent load some at the powder charge that looked good and adjust seating depth, then fine tune the powder charge. Now you have a base line load to try different neck tension and primers. Always shoot a few different powder charges surrounding your load when trying neck tensions or primers because they can move the node. I would expect a customer to try at least 2-3 powders and 2-3 bullets through a decent powder charge and seating depth window before accepting a rifle to inspect for accuracy issues.

I have tried 215 Berger's and 225 eldm's. I've tried h1000, imr7977 with the Berger's and I've tried h1000, rl25 and rl26 with the 225's. Best most consistent load I've found are 215 Berger's and imr7977 and they were consistently around .7-.8 moa which is not acceptable. 215's and h1000 strung vertical. 225's and h1000 shot 1.25-1.5 moa. 225's and rl25 shot about like this rl26 only about 2840fps. Get a good group then vertical flyer but still normally would hold moa as with the rl26.

I'd suggest trying almondgrowers suggestion. I've had harmonics/grouping/point of impact change from just whether a bipod was on the forend even if was folded and not in use.

Also - I may have missed this, but is there any consistency to when the flier occurs? Is it always the fourth or fifth shot, or is it random in a five shot string?

I'm really not sure. I know that with my other rifles I don't see this happen. I gave the rifle back to the Smith a couple of weeks ago, we will see what he finds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.