vertical stringing?

It is not that uncommon for the first shot to be outside the group. Sometimes it is the difference in a cold bore and warmed up bore. Sometimes it is the difference in a cold shooter and a warmed up shooter.

Rich

I'm not a expert however, I have read and found that Weatherby's for some reason shot better when the stock is tightened to 50 in pounds. I've used that method on my .378's and .460 with great results. Just my .02 worth.

Scratch

I could have guessed it was a weatherby hot stringing just by the pics lol. Weatherby wants you to tighten the rear screw first then the front. I also find that you have to let the barrels cool right out. I have always left the pressure points in the stocks, none of my Accumarks are glass bedded. and I switched 2 Japs to B&C stocks and I left the pressure points as well.

Rich

I'm not a expert however, I have read and found that Weatherby's for some reason shot better when the stock is tightened to 50 in pounds. I've used that method on my .378's and .460 with great results. Just my .02 worth.

Scratch

Today I did what you suggested. Also I tried two different OAL as someone else suggested. This powder and bullet combo is the most consistent I have ever used. The standard deviation for the ten shots was "5"! Here are the results.

20170328_094742202_zpsqv0cqtjn.jpg

20170328_094750202_zpsmyaeesi5.jpg

Thanks to you gentlemen I finished my loads work yesterday and today. Yesterday I fired the five shot group at 100 with the Hornady V-Max 110 and the Barnes TTSX 110. Today I went back and fired the three shot group at 100 and 300 yards with the V-Max. The 100 yard group measured 5/16" and the 300 yard group measured 2 7/16". I didn't shot the TTSX today but was happy with previous results. It is the first photo.

fba5bb1a-1b57-490b-b447-3ff6f7990734_zpsrr2qd2hq.jpg

20170331_083156_zpsu5rgchaq.jpg

20170331_083101_zpscwgvsryd.jpg

20170331_090604_zpslxx8d3vd.jpg

That was with testing different primers and picking consistent best. After that I took someone here's advice and adjusted the over all length. The TTSX were shortened four or five times and then had to go back out after failing with two shorter lengths. The V-Max hit a sweet spot on the way shortening so I didn't try anymore. The weight charge is 2.2 grains below max; although the velocities don't seem to reflect that. The brass is on its fifth firing.

Tomorrow I hope to smack a rock chuck or two with the V-Max.

Rich Coyle, excellent group there !! I notice all of your targets have the "L" as an aim point instead of the typical type sight-in target. Is that something you find gives you a better point of aim when testing the loads??

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts