Partial vertical stringing

If you're going for a mild load I would try under that 42gr load and see if that group gets any tighter. If not, play with the seating depth a little at 42.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Also, I wouldn't waste money on a bolt on muzzle break. Either get the muzzle threaded for a break and do it right, or leave it as is. Too many potential problems with a bolt on muzzle break.

Last edited:
boyds laminate stocks are relatively soft material -- and even though they seem tight they still give . and screws would come loose

i recommend a pillar job on all boyds laminates ,and a action bedding while you are in there
The stock is pillar bedded and action bedded already.

Bobby Hart once told me ,if the shots string add more power??? My remedy is sent it out to 300 below , she does a good job ,quick turnaround, Sent seveal factory barrels out the stopped the stringing, Most factory barrel are not stress relieved properly

Bobby Hart once told me ,if the shots string add more power??? My remedy is sent it out to 300 below , she does a good job ,quick turnaround, Sent seveal factory barrels out the stopped the stringing, Most factory barrel are not stress relieved properly
Good idea but this is not a factory barrel and has actually had great groups with factory ammo and one set of reloaded accubonds. I'm trying to load a lighter bullet at a low charge to get a lower recoil round for my wife since she will not be hunting white tails past 250 yards.

Ok here goes. I'm working up some loads on a savage 7mm08. It is freefloated and bedded in a Boyd's stock. I'm shooting off rear bag and front adjustable rest. I loaded 120 ballistic tips .040 off the lands. I am just shooting at 100 yards. I started my charge weights at 42 grains and then went up .3 grains every 5 rounds until I got to 43.2 grains. Purely shooting for groups, not doing ladder test or ocd test. I started with the lowest charge and went up. Here is where it gets weird. I shot 3 rounds of 42 grains and get a .6inch triangular group. I decide to not shoot the last two rounds and move on to 3 rounds of 42.3 grains. Again I get about a .6-.7 inch triangular group. I I then go to 42.6 grains. FYI I'm waiting 15 minutes per group of shooting and about 1-2 minutes between each shot. The 42.6 grain grouping was a vertical string 4 shot group with almost no left and right deviation but 2 inches vertical. Each shot was progressively lower than the next so I'm thinking maybe heat. So I let the barrel cool 20 minutes this time. I went and shot four of the 42.9 grain rounds and the same thing happened... it is pretty hot out so I'm wondering if the barrel is just getting hot and I should wait even longer? This is a savage magnum contour barrel so just a step up from a sporter in thickness. Thoughts?
https://hammerbullets.com/product/284-cal-113g-sledge-hammer/

Give these a go. Loaf then full tilt and recoil will still be mild. They will handle anything with hooves in North America to the distance you are talking. If they don't do what you are needing, we will buy them back.

Steve

May I ask why you also stated try a load at 42.1 or 42.2 instead of just doing the seating depth testing on the 42grain load I already shot? Just curious.

There is not a lot of data on that target but I have always had the best luck in the middle of a node and it appears you have one around the charges I mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.