Vertical stringing

Joefrazell

Having a problem with vertical stringing, vertical flyers. Here's what I have

Rifle is a trued rem 700 with a 26" bartlein barrel. Mbm beast brake. Hs precision stock, Timney trigger. 300 win mag

Load is adg brass, fed 215, 225 ELDM, rl26 brass has now all been fired and shoulders bumped back .002, .002 neck tension .010" off the lands

So it seems the problem is with multiple powders, bullets. My load currently is 73 gr. Is right over 2900 fps with es of around 20. Yesterday morning and this morning I shot 4 shot groups at 410 yards. 3 went into about 1.25" but had one flyer that strung vertical. It seems I've had vertical stringing issues with this rifle since the start of the new barrel. I thought it was a bedding issue but I've swapped stocks and re bed the rifle twice. I thought it could be a rear bag issue but I've tried two different bags. Tried a bipod and a front rest and still having the issue. What's everyone's thoughts? I have lost faith in the Smith for other reasons so I don't want to take it back to him. Should I have another Smith check it out? Could it be a seating depth issue? I'm at my wit's end with the rifle and don't know where to go. It wants to shoot .25 min groups most of the time but I just can't seem to get it together.

Are you hand seating the primers ? I had one that did horizontal stringing and found that the bore wasn't in the center of the barrel it was fat on one side and thin on the other un-even expansion with heating had me scratching my head .
Weird, I sure hope that it's not a barrel problem as it's a bartlein

When you're shooting your groups are they in rapid succession with one another w/out breaking position or do you get up off the rifle after each shot to let the barrel cool?
Reason I ask is that I just finished load development w/ a .300 Win Mag also using ADG brass, Federal 215's, Berger 210's and RL26. Seems when I stay on the rifle after each shot without breaking position (prone) the load I settled on (73.1gr) prints .5 moa consistently. BUT if I get up after each shot, allow a few minutes to pass and and set up all over again I tend to throw one high or low sometimes thus ruining the group.

These groups were shot with only changing seating depth of the load all at 100 yards, no adjustment to the scope. One above the orange circle was closet to the lands, the lower right was .010 deeper upper right was another .010 deeper im gonna try another .010 deeper at 500 I like how there's more of a cluster the one is a little out but its definitely telling me it likes being off the lands.
Notice how the P.O.I. changes

Attachments

• 20200716_171652.jpg
    20200716_171652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 564
  • 20200725_093428.jpg
    20200725_093428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 538
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.