243 grouping

Well like you guys I figured it had to be mechanical too. I was going to change one thing at a time and see what happened. I changed the stock to another one I had and it still shot lousy, came inside and changed the scope rings bore sighted it and it grouped down to about 2 inches. The rings were Vortex rings that were split vertically at 12 and 6 and used a independant recoil lug. I replaced them with rings that were cut horizontally at 3 and 9 with an integral recoil lug. I was never a big fan of those rings anyway and now I will never use that type again. I was using 42 grains of IMR 4350 with .050 jump. I may try more jump to see what happens but it looks like it was the rings causing the problem

Didn't say it couldn't work but it's getting into the place where it might not. You're lucky and yours does.
Brother I wasn't trying to shut your down or contradict your post. Many great shooters believe and say the same thing you do. I have 3 700 243's in the 9.125:1 with the 9.125":1 twist. for some reason they all have been awesome with the 103-107 bullets. However, noe with hold the 108's or 110 under 5-6" I leave that to my RPR with 7.7":1. However even the RPR won't group the beautiful SIE 110 MK. But it (RPR) will stack 115 Bergers into one hole all day. But back to the 700's. I have a Model 7 that will stack 100's into 3/8" for a living.

Oh I know how very lucky I am with all 4 guns. Maybe he could pick one up somewhere if he was ded set on 100's or heavier. You have ofered good at vice to him.

What is the ballistics coefficient and length of the bullets that you are trying to use? Also how much torque in lbft did you use for the barrel bedding screws and for the scope ring bases and rings?

I did see a similar problem one time when one of the scope mount base screws sheared off. Just push horizontal to the barrel at the front and rear of the scope and look for movement.

Mechanical problems or scope, Rings, Bases and crown, Stock and bedding all need checked out.

Have the primers been proven in another gun for accuracy. Bad primers, or a bad firing pin spring would be 2 things to check also. Either could be causing problems. Good Luck in finding the problem and cure.