Grouping Questions

Ok. I had a lot of copper fouling When the groups opened up before. and I cleaned it with sweets. But it's odd that when i cleaned it both times the groups tightened back for a few rounds then back to the same group. Different powder different bullet same group 2 touching one high to the left.
Sweets is going to ruin your bbl!...... It containes ammonia you never get all of it out and at 400 degrees it turns to nitric acid. Read Harold Vaughn's book.
I know about this as I worked for a major benchrest company for many years and we rebarreled more guns because of Sweets eating them up. BBl companies just love you.

Sweets will never wreck a bore IF properly used. It's a case of RTFI (again/still).

If you're nervous, run boiling water down the bore after you're done with the Sweets.

Sweets will never wreck a bore IF properly used. It's a case of RTFI (again/still).

If you're nervous, run boiling water down the bore after you're done with the Sweets.

Or use KG12. Water-soluble, barrel safe (and safe for non-barrel parts in case of runoff), and incredibly effective. I haven't touched my bottle of Sweets since I started using KG12.

It is 308 sorry. I havnt checked velocities so it may have sped up. But, I cleaned the barrel and the first group was a ragged hole with 165sst and Varget. Next was .9 with the same. Then I got roughly the same grouping with the other loads I've tried. It used to consistently stay in a ragged hole. It's just odd that it went inconsistent but I'll chrograph my load and see if it's changed. I was running rite at 2700fps out of my 20in .

The same lot of brass? Concentricity of rounds? Neck tension? Some days it just happens. The hold is a bit different, the position of the buttstock shifts between shots, a trigger jerk, or a lack of concentration. I agree that you need to shoot more rounds on target per group to see if you really have a problem. I had a Savage Stealth that took 500 rounds to settle down and by the time it settled down I already had a new custom barrel for it, which was an expensive lesson in patients.

I would suggest you chronograph loads while shooting groups. It sounds like you have inconsistant powder charges, Different case weights, Or a bad lot of primers giving you a velocity variance shot to shot. The chronograph will tell you if its you or the load.

I second Jud96 statement. The only other thing that I would add on top of all the excellent suggestions is that after you fire a few rounds is to use a dollar bill and run it down the length of the barrel to see if it is still free floating barrel or to see if it is making contact somewhere along the stock of your rifle. If it is making contact that is what is giving you the fliers once the barrel heats up.

I went out today. Forgot chronograph. I cleaned my rifle. The first group was a ragged hole. The next 6 groups all rite an 1in. Then, the last 2 groups were a ragged home again. I noticed that when the barrel warmed I do have a spot that is touching on one side of the barrel but that isn't when it cool. Also, the last 2 times I've cleaned it the first group from the clean barrel is a ragged hole then the open up. But I've cleaned it after the last 3 times being out with it at about 20-25 shots each time. So, I took care of the touching issue. But maybe it's needing more that 20rounds to come back into good groupings. Before this I never cleaned it much bc it shot fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts