two grouping?

jacack

I have a rifle, 6X45 that I just cant seem to get it shooting right, it will shot two in one hole and then two more 1/4- 3/4 inch from the first. I have tried a few powders and a few bullets and get the same results most of the time. I thought i read somewhere it could be caused by bullet seating dept? if anyone has any thought I would be greatful

thanks

I don't know your problem for sure. But I wonder if you wear glasses?

I have had this same issue recently with guns well capable of better performance. Another 'clue' toward resolution IMO, is the fact that I shoot better, and better, the further out I go. And lastly, these occurances began with my astigmatism and eventual prescription.
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to this might finally resolve the 'shrinking MOA' phenomenon.

Personally, I think it's parallax caused by less consistant eye position -shot to shot, at shorter ranges. I think my brain compensates for less than perfect focus up close(100yds), at high power, because it can.
But this is not the case 300 or 400yds out. I am forced to position for perfect focus, and this is leading to more consistant results.

Just throwing out ideas

dont wear glasses, and I have a few rifles and never had on do this so much, I shot two other guns smae day and they shot perfect

I don't know your problem for sure. But I wonder if you wear glasses?

I have had this same issue recently with guns well capable of better performance. Another 'clue' toward resolution IMO, is the fact that I shoot better, and better, the further out I go. And lastly, these occurances began with my astigmatism and eventual prescription.
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to this might finally resolve the 'shrinking MOA' phenomenon.

Personally, I think it's parallax caused by less consistant eye position -shot to shot, at shorter ranges. I think my brain compensates for less than perfect focus up close(100yds), at high power, because it can.
But this is not the case 300 or 400yds out. I am forced to position for perfect focus, and this is leading to more consistant results.

Just throwing out ideas

Thanks for this reply. I also suspect I have an astigmatism and my results from the bench are sometimes less than desirable. I will keep your comments in mind next time out to the range!

--Duck911

You are right to consider seating depth.
Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles mentioned a few years ago that double grouping can often be "cured" by adjusting seating depth.
I'd give it a try and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts