243 grouping

I had one like this, I 'recrowned' it with a round head brass screw and Clover 240 non-embedding lapping compound, chucked the screw up in a cordless drill and coated the head with compound and made figure 8 motions randomly as I could until I could see a 'crown' about 80 thousandths wide. It shot under an inch after. I had gone through 20+ loads, 4 scopes, bedding, you name it. The 'crown' job was a last ditch out of frustration deal, and that was the issue.

I've only had one gun that could throw out 8" groups.
That was a NEF Handi Rifle that was cold clean bore accurate, but would copper foul out by the 3rd shot.
No hope for it really, so I separated it into different dumpsters across town.

I do not believe a load can cause such a bad result.
Extreme seating changes can swing around 1moa,, bad primer striking another 1moa,, powder is way finer/limited in affect.
You didn't say the bullets were hitting sideways.

I have fought the bedding on a 98 Mauser and a Boyd's stock. It would shoot great but then fall apart after ~40 rounds. I continually found new issues popping up. There are so many variants of the 98, each stock really needs to be tweaked somehow to get the bedding right. The military integral mag box/bottom metal is the biggest problem for clearance issues on this rifle.

4-8" groups are not a reloading only problem. If truly measured…these groups are a hardware/barrel problem.
FWIW group sizes like that can defiantly be a reloading problem. I shot back to back groups with a 6.5CM of ~1" with factory ammo and 8" with Hammers. It is possible to make loads so unmatched to a barrel that they shoot that badly when the rest of the gun is running correctly. A powder change shrunk the Hammer groups from 8" to 3" - was very obviously a load problem. Probably not the case here since he had multiple loads shoot that bad, but the 100gn+Superperformance combo isn't ideal.

Anyone have a suggestion?
What brass are you using?

Do you have a hand press or an arbor press? If yes, pre-weigh some charges and go to the range and shoot the same case with the same load until it doesn't fit into the chamber anymore; neck size only is best but if you only have FL dies set them long so only about half the neck is sized so that you aren't touching the shoulders at all. Measure that case all over and compare it to a 243 reamer print.

Measure the barrel twist rate yourself.

Shoot 50 cases 2x into the berm and not on the target, then try again with 2x fired brass and a barrel with 100+ rounds through it.

FWIW group sizes like that can defiantly be a reloading problem. I shot back to back groups with a 6.5CM of ~1" with factory ammo and 8" with Hammers. It is possible to make loads so unmatched to a barrel that they shoot that badly when the rest of the gun is running correctly. A powder change shrunk the Hammer groups from 8" to 3" - was very obviously a load problem. Probably not the case here since he had multiple loads shoot that bad, but the 100gn+Superperformance combo isn't ideal.

What brass are you using?

Do you have a hand press or an arbor press? If yes, pre-weigh some charges and go to the range and shoot the same case with the same load until it doesn't fit into the chamber anymore; neck size only is best but if you only have FL dies set them long so only about half the neck is sized so that you aren't touching the shoulders at all. Measure that case all over and compare it to a 243 reamer print.

Measure the barrel twist rate yourself.

Shoot 50 cases 2x into the berm and not on the target, then try again with 2x fired brass and a barrel with 100+ rounds through it.
Brand new Lapua brass, RCBS rock chucker press all charges are weighed. I loaded the Superformance just to see what it did. IMR 4350 has always worked great in both my 7mm-08 and my 308 I have been reloading for over 40 years. I have a set of 243 neck sizing dies, full length dies and small base dies. I`m gonna neck size the brass but I am leaning more toward the stock. I floated barrel and pillar bedded the action. I live in Georgia and McGowan is in Montana so I cant just run over there to have him check it out. I have another stock to try but it is raining buckets here today so I cant get out in the front yard to see what it does with that stock.

Also 9 twist is a little on the slow side to start getting in that 100 grn+ area. My match .243s have had 7.5 twists and shot up to 115grn bullets great.
Stock Remington 700, 243 VLS, 9.125:1 twist

Sierra 107 gr Match King

Attachments

• IMG_5233.JPG
    IMG_5233.JPG
    662.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    954.1 KB · Views: 38
  • P1000050.JPG
    P1000050.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Brand new Lapua brass, RCBS rock chucker press all charges are weighed. I loaded the Superformance just to see what it did. IMR 4350 has always worked great in both my 7mm-08 and my 308 I have been reloading for over 40 years. I have a set of 243 neck sizing dies, full length dies and small base dies. I`m gonna neck size the brass but I am leaning more toward the stock. I floated barrel and pillar bedded the action. I live in Georgia and McGowan is in Montana so I cant just run over there to have him check it out. I have another stock to try but it is raining buckets here today so I cant get out in the front yard to see what it does with that stock.
IMO it has to be the hardware. The 243 is normally an accurate round. I have a Remington 700 243 Win (1 in 9 twist) that is 55 years old and with a bore scope the cracking will scare you to death. The optimum jump for this combo is 0.070. I did some seating depth testing and here are the results:
20221114_091529.jpg
20221114_091542.jpg
Remington 700 .243 Win -2.JPG
Keep us posted on the outcome. We all want to know what the problem is.

Last edited: