Unpacking The Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph

Took my Garmin Xero out to my Range today that I received yesterday from Scheels.
Gave it a good shakedown.
Fired .22 Rimfire, Three different brands of ammo though my Rifle, never missed a Shot as long as I aimed the unit at the Target, just like the Lab Radar.
Showed what each Brand was producing in velocity and was spot on.
Switched to my Ruger Carbine in .40 S&W. and my Glock .40 S&W Pistol. Showed the Carbine was 200 FPS faster than the Pistol with the same load.
Switched to my M1a 308 and my Remington 700 also in 308. Never missed a shot in any of the Firearms.
Showed the results on my Iphone on each session but only after the Session was over. Not during it. Which would be handy.
Also does not assign a number to each Session or String as the LR does (or I haven't figured how to do that yet, Think I'll call Garmin about that). Simple control functions buttons are easy to use as are all Garmin Products.
I'm totally impressed by this Unit.
Next I'll take both the LR and the Xero out together to compare them side by side.

Ya just can't beat the Zero for ease of set up and use, and safety vs. having to be out in front of the range line to set up an old chrono. Not as much of an issue w lab radar, but it is just so quick and easy.

The only 2 faults are it cannot record down range velocity to True BC which lab radar does, and the synch between phone app shot view and the zero is not active in real time. It only works once the shot string is final in the zero, then can be synched and transferred to shot view to see, work with there.

It needs software upgrade to grab downrange velocity, and bluetooth real time synch to shot view so you can see it on the phone or tablet in real time too.

Those 2 things will make it definitively invincible as the go to chrono.

But I like to just set it down and start shooting. 🙂
Sold one of my LR and magnetospeed. Got the Xero and I agree with your assessment. I have another on order so I can set it down range at the target and get velocity then too.

I was going to wait because I have a LR. Then I saw almost everywhere was backordered except Scheels. I ordered a C1 before they also ran out.

When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at how small it was even though I knew it was supposed to be much smaller. Now I'm waiting for my new Havak Element 7 PRC to show up next week so I can test out the C1.

I loaned out my Magnetospeed V3 last year. Already have a local veteran in mind for the LR long term loan.

PLEASE DISREGARD INFO ON SCREEN, WE WERE SHOOTING SEVERAL GUNS INCLUDING A 300 BO SUB SONIC AND A 204 RUGER OVER 4000 FPS.

I have a Samsung S8. Didn't really want a new phone. Us old folks don't look forward to a new phone like the kids and grandkids do. So I bought a Cheap Digiland tablet on E$ay. Has androind 11 operating system. Search for Digiland DL1036 $49.99 including shipping. PM me and I will give you link if interested. Shotview loaded and works great. Was also able to install my Sierra loading manual. A lot easier to see than on my phone. Here are some pictures of what I have. I am sure other CHEAP tablets would work as well. Should be a lot on sale fort black Friday. Not saying this is the way to go, but it is working for me.
Safe shooting
Doug

Sold one of my LR and magnetospeed. Got the Xero and I agree with your assessment. I have another on order so I can set it down range at the target and get velocity then too.
It may not work more than a few ft. from your rifle.....may have an algorithim in it that ignores anything more than few ft. away.

But, just take your current unit,
set it at the target and see if it sees anything?

interesting experiment....

It may not work more than a few ft. from your rifle.....may have an algorithim in it that ignores anything more than few ft. away.

But, just take your current unit,
set it at the target and see if it sees anything?

interesting experiment....
I thought about that, but since it's Doppler, it should be sending out a "radar beam" or something and when an object crosses that beam it should reflect back…right?

I thought about that, but since it's Doppler, it should be sending out a "radar beam" or something and when an object crosses that beam it should reflect back…right?
Unless its software says no.....
Because Garmin has made it to not catch everyone elses shots at the range, I think it must have some algorithms to screen out
things more than a few ft away.

Try it and see? 🙂🤔

Unless its software says no.....
Because Garmin has made it to not catch everyone elses shots at the range, I think it must have some algorithms to screen out
things more than a few ft away.

Try it and see? 🙂🤔
I am just guessing, but I do have a background.

The unit is pretty simple, so it more then likely only "knows" the difference when unwanted returns start so far away that they are obviously not from the muzzle of the wanted gun.

Imagine the beam spreads from the unit at a shallow cone angle. A good shot intercepts that beam very near the antenna, so that is a wanted shot.
An unwanted shot would have an initial return farther away, so it can easily be rejected.

My guess, is for a unit to work down range, the shot will have to fly past it very near just like the ones on the bench. I would cover the unit with an angled plate of AR500 and give it a try but only with a rig that I can trust to shoot within 5 or 10 inches over the unit. (Or, just don't sell your LabRadar too soon if that is the kind of data you want.)

I am just guessing, but I do have a background.

The unit is pretty simple, so it more then likely only "knows" the difference when unwanted returns start so far away that they are obviously not from the muzzle of the wanted gun.

Imagine the beam spreads from the unit at a shallow cone angle. A good shot intercepts that beam very near the antenna, so that is a wanted shot.
An unwanted shot would have an initial return farther away, so it can easily be rejected.

My guess, is for a unit to work down range, the shot will have to fly past it very near just like the ones on the bench. I would cover the unit with an angled plate of AR500 and give it a try but only with a rig that I can trust to shoot within 5 or 10 inches over the unit. (Or, just don't sell your LabRadar too soon if that is the kind of data you want.)
ok, well report back and let us know if it works.

I dont have any special insight, but I suspect if it would work, Garmin would have given some guidance.

I think it is a feature that Garmin should program into the unit with a selector panel for setting yardage out to pick up the data.