Pro's & Con's of a chronograph

i have a older chrony alpha 15 to 20 yrs old never had a problem with it (no holes in it) essential for working up loads , may get a newer one later

I bought a Caldwell unit three years ago and so far so good. I really like it. It's easy to set up and user friendly . Is it the most accurate chronograph?? Maybe , maybe not but it is consistent I had loaded roughly 1000 223 that I'd shot through it when it was first bought and every now and then I'll check with them . Suits me just fine so far and knock on wood no hole in it yet lol

I also have a Caldwell & am very satisfied with it. As a re-loader I would have a hard time living without one.

I am about to by a Chrono and it feels like every day I convince myself of one and then the next decide I should get a different one.
Flip a coin and you'll be good to go: HEADS, you get the Competition Electronics DLX unit (bluetooth) for $126, TAILS, you get the Caldwell Ballistics unit for $100 (or $150 for the "premium kit".) Both are very good and will make you happy. Both have apps you can use with your phone or tablet, too. JUST DO IT, ha!

I built a prototype shade tunnel for the Beta Chrony that has really fixed the inconsistencies and missed readings. I have been able to get consistant readings in overcast, bright sun, partly cloudy, and rain. I have no proof of how "accurate" it is, but it tracks with expected velocities based on load data and is consistant from session to session. It has only missed 3 shots in the last 94. Kinda crude, I hope to clean it up a bit. But for exactly $0, I have a tool that gets used now instead of sitting on a shelf. View attachment 133486
So it's a beta Beta shade...

I built a prototype shade tunnel for the Beta Chrony that has really fixed the inconsistencies and missed readings. I have been able to get consistant readings in overcast, bright sun, partly cloudy, and rain. I have no proof of how "accurate" it is, but it tracks with expected velocities based on load data and is consistant from session to session. It has only missed 3 shots in the last 94. Kinda crude, I hope to clean it up a bit. But for exactly $0, I have a tool that gets used now instead of sitting on a shelf. View attachment 133486

I've seriously thought about building something with a piece of 3/8" plate on it for my chrono as I'm the guy that stuff that never happens to other people happens too. lol

I've seriously thought about building something with a piece of 3/8" plate on it for my chrono as I'm the guy that stuff that never happens to other people happens too. lol

That plate is there because I shot my first Chrony. Its ar500. After I built it I shot it at 5yds (without chrony attached) with a 7rm to see how it handled it.

I shot my chronograph, too, but fortunately it was with a pellet gun and it caught the outer plastic edge and (thankfully) the chronograph survived. That 'dent' in the plastic is a great reminder every time I set it up and use it, to be CAREFUL. (But some AR500 plate would be nice insurance.)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.