Proper use of a chronograph

Fuzzyfoot

I just inherited a Chrony F1 Master, don't know much about it or how to properly use it for optimal load development. The unit came with a remote so one can view the advanced features of the unit.So any help or helpful links on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I would be using it on my .223 and 25-06 for load development. Thanks

Set it up 10' or so in front of the muzzle.

Have it setup in the same plane as the bullet (level if the target and rifle are at the same height).

The closer the bullet flies to the sensor, the more accurate/consistent the numbers will be (too close and you will be in the market for a new chrony ;0 )

The absolute number you get is less important for load development than the relative change in velocity you get for a change in your load. For example, did seating the bullet .001" closer to the lands increase or decrease the velocity spread I get for this load? Or, why didn't I get any velocity increase for an increase in powder? (powder too slow for barrel length).

The actual/exact/correct velocity number is only important for calculating trajectories etc. Having good repeatable numbers is whats important for reloading purposes. (Moral of the story, don't take the absolute number too seriously, as its probably a bit too high or a bit too low, but used correctly, most chrony's will give you consistent numbers)

HTH

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.