Pro's & Con's of a chronograph

Hespco

Today I was doing some load work with my Win 70 Extreme Weather 264 mag , 26" Bbl. Hodgon Rertumbo with Sierra 140 SBT bullets. Starting at 63grs I worked up to 65grs 1 gr at a time , then 1/2 gr up at a time from there. At 67 grs my chrono read 3198fps, & then at 67.5 only read 5 fps more. This told me my rifle with this powder & bullet reached 67grs & 3198 fps as an optimum load . The 67.5 gr load showed no sigh of excess pressure. Cases extracted easily. I got steady good size velocity jumps with each increase of powder up to the 67gr weight. With out the chrono I had no way of knowing any of this info. As a re-loader I find the chronograph as indispensable. On the Con side a chrono tells you your load is not what you had hoped for. I''ve done a little chrono work for friends who shot factory ammo & results can be disappointing.

not necessarily an "optimum" load just a velocity step.
accuracy counts. the step could occur at a less than max spot also.

. This told me my rifle with this powder & bullet reached 67grs & 3198 fps as an optimum load .

I love that chronographs have come down in price, but are still 'good enough' quality that the average shooter and reloader can get one and actually trust the readings. As a reloader, it seems imperative to have and use a chronograph when developing loads. Hespco's example is one reason why - more powder but no more velocity achieved? STOP! That's it. There is nothing more to be gained by tossing more fuel in the case.

The other use is when the reloading book shows the 'max' load achieves 3,000fps with 50 grains of the powder SuperBurnFast1000. You started at the recommended beginning charges and are working your way up to that max load. At 48.5 grains, you find you are getting 3000fps. The velocity is showing you that you have reached the maximum safe pressure (per the reloading manual). You got 3000fps with only 48.5 grains of powder because your gun is "different" than the test rifle. You can safely stop there and be happy, knowing you aren't "pushing" things beyond a safe range. Without the chronograph, by the time you see 'signs of high pressure' you have BEEN over max pressure for a while already. Not safe.

This got me curious as to how many different chronographs are out there for us to buy and I came up with this list:
1. Oehler Model 35P (complete system) $595 @ Oehler-research.com

2. LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph ($560 @ Midway)

3. Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Chronograph ($180 @ Midway)

4. MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph ($380 @ Midway)

5. Competition Electronics ProChrono Pal Chronograph ($100 @ Midway & Amazon)

6. Competition Electronics ProChrono (not DLX) ($116 @ Amazon)

7. Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX – Bluetooth connectivity ($126 @ Midway)

8. Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph ($100)

9. Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit ($150 @ Midway)

10. Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2 ($230 @ Midway)

11. Shooting Chrony M1 Chronograph Metric ($110 @ Midway)

12. Shooting Chrony Alpha Chronograph ($121 @ Midway)

13. Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph ($130 @ Midway)

14. Shooting Chrony F1 Master Chronograph ($132 @ Midway)

15. Shooting Chrony M1 Master Chronograph Metric ($132 @ Midway)

16. Shooting Chrony Beta Chronograph ($132 @ Midway)

17. Shooting Chrony Beta Master Chronograph ($150 @ Midway)

18. Shooting Chrony Gamma Master Chronograph with Ballistic Chrony Printer ($220 @ Midway)

19. PACT Model 1 XP Chronograph with Improved Sky Screen Mounting Bracket ($130 @ Midway)

20. CED Millennium 2 Chronograph System ($200 @ Midway)

21. RCBS - Ammomaster Chronograph ($152 @ Brownells)

It seems like for years, the OEHLER MODEL 35P was the "gold standard" by which all others were judged. I was surprised to see it was 'only' $595. For some reason, I thought it would cost more than that. Still a very fine unit.

But after researching, if I had an unlimited budget, I would get the LABRADAR unit (and all the wonderful accessories that go with it.) It isn't 'finicky' about lighting like the optical units (such as Oehler and most of the others listed, besides the MagnetoSpeed). You can't accidentally shoot it like you can the optical units and the MagnetoSpeed unit. It is as accurate as the Oehler 35P per some tests I've read. And it can do some things the Oehler can't, all for $40 less money. Nice.

But I'm not in the upper class in regards to wealth. I can't really afford the LABRADAR unit right now. Maybe some day, as prices come down, I'll be able to get one.
For right now, my money would go to one of the following two:

Any one of the Competition Electronics ProChrono units ($100 to $126)
Any one of the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph units ($100 to $230)

If I was JUST shooting rifles or pistols with 'exposed' barrels the unit could be strapped to, I would very much like the Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Chronograph ($180 @ Midway). It also doesn't care what the lighting or temperature is outside and it is very accurate (per tests I've read), which is nice. But I can't attach it to my many semi-auto pistols meaning I can't chrono them without some other unit, too. I can't use it to clock my arrow speeds from my compound bow, either. So that means I need one of the optical chronographs to stay in my financial comfort zone AND be able to 'clock' everything I own.

This is NOT meant to insinuate that YOUR unit (whatever it is) isn't good or good enough! I was just reading many of the reviews and tests as I put this list together and these are my thoughts. If you have a Shooting Chrony unit or a Pact 1 or CED M2 chrono and think it is the cat's meow (me-wow?) then awesome. Chime in and tell us why it's great.

I'm just hoping this helps someone without a chronograph, who needs one, get into a unit they can afford and that will do a great job for them.

Okay...flame away. Donning protective suit now.

I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital with the Bluetooth adapter and it's great. It sends all the data to my Kindle fire, you can go into the program and name the string, input bullet data, it also has a place to ad notes like charge weight, seating depth etc. and if you have wifi available it will automatically record the temp and barometric pressure.

I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital with the Bluetooth adapter and it's great. It sends all the data to my Kindle fire, you can go into the program and name the string, input bullet data, it also has a place to ad notes like charge weight, seating depth etc. and if you have wifi available it will automatically record the temp and barometric pressure.
Have the same unit. Don't use it now that I have a LabRadar, but it was pretty good for me. I compared it against the LabRadar, and it was pretty much right in line. Gave it up for the extra data and convenience of the LR.

Thing is, the software on the $150 ProChrono Bluetooth is LIGHT YEARS better than the goofy joke of an app that works with the LabRadar. It's the one negative on the system. Pretty much only serves as a controller to the unit, with no data manipulation, notes, export, etc. It doesn't even do that great of a job as a controller. Heck, graphics don't even fit my phone's screen right.

I love the utility of the LabRadar, but it's kinda shocking that a $550 instrument has such terrible software...

Reloading should NOT be done without a Chronograph, at the least or, a Pressure Trace system, on the high end!

It's a required tool, like, all other reloading tools. We ain't walking out 100 paces and shooting at paper plates here and calling it good, if you hit it?

You don't want to blow your face off!

I have an old Competition Electronics ProChrono (no bluetooth) and really like it as it has lasted for a long time and isn't that sensitive to the lighting, which is nice. I just put it on a tripod 15ft from the gun and I can see the display and write down the measurements as I shoot. It stores them, too, but I just keep track as I go. If I ever break it (or shoot it) I'll probably get the DLX version with bluetooth. I have learned to always keep a 'fresh/new' 9v battery with me as those don't last very long and when they get weak, the unit will start to 'miss' shots. Simple to pop a fresh battery in and get back to work.

I appreciated justinp61 reviewing the app that goes with the DLX-bluetooth version as I was wondering if it was good or not. It sounds like it is very functional and useful. I may have to 'upgrade' sooner rather than later.

For what it is worth, the Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph 'app' also rec'd a lot of positive comments from reviewers, so it is apparently well done, too.

I'm sure the LABRADAR folks will improve their software when they see what the competition is doing. They have an excellent machine. Seems a shame to 'let it down' with a marginal software interface. In the end, it really comes down to getting accurate numbers with a minimum of setup and hassles and no 'missed' readings. The LABRADAR excels in that area. One test I read comparing it to the Oehler 35P showed the LabRadar unit picked up all 150 shots fired, whereas the Oehler unit only registered 140 of those. Not bad for an optical chrono, but those are 10 data points that are lost to the ether, which is a bummer.

Last edited:
I built a prototype shade tunnel for the Beta Chrony that has really fixed the inconsistencies and missed readings. I have been able to get consistant readings in overcast, bright sun, partly cloudy, and rain. I have no proof of how "accurate" it is, but it tracks with expected velocities based on load data and is consistant from session to session. It has only missed 3 shots in the last 94. Kinda crude, I hope to clean it up a bit. But for exactly $0, I have a tool that gets used now instead of sitting on a shelf.
20190201_165101.jpg

I am about to by a Chrono and it feels like every day I convince myself of one and then the next decide I should get a different one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts