unhappy with leupold warranty

bucknutz

yep,i think their new line of scopes are going right to their head to "make money".lifetime warranty fix or replace may have changed also.i sent back a 3x9x40 vari-x 11 three times now,first a turret lock-up 2nd a bad image problem they replaced the erector system and when i got it back,installed it on the same.243 (with proper mounts and rings).i just got it dialed in at 100yds and the sight picture was horrible,black-ringed on 3x,blurry and fuzzy on 9x.it made me crosseyed.i removed it and returned it,they gave it a visual and mechanical "inspection" and its on its way back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif as is. i was told its 36yrs old and thats the way they were back then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif it will be back july 5th for re-install on same gun,i am expecting the same results,and for recommendations short of sawing it in 1/2 and sending it to their board of directors

That sucks! I have never had a problem with any of leupolds products. My dad has 4 Vari X II scopes that were made a LONG time ago and they still have crystal clear immages in them. I don't know if it could be your eye or something. Eveyones eyes view things different so maybe someone else could look through it to confirm that it is the scope and not you.
If it is still not fixed when you get it back you may try to break something major on it ie. bend the tube or something but make it look beleiveable that something like that could have happened and then have a buddy send it back just so that they don't connect that it was you since you had already given them trouble.

I really hate to recommend something like that but it may just be the only way to get a new replacement for the old one.

Hope all works out! AND KEEP US UPDATED ON THE OUTCOME!

i have had others verify after zeroing at 100yds.there is not much range adjustment and this scope has been riding on no less than 10 rifles over the yrs with the same poor results.i've even filed bases to make it work.i gave it to my hunting partner for 5yrs for his kids to beat around because nobody else wanted it on their rifles either.i have a 6x vari-x 11 and a 2.5x8-3.5x10 and 4.5x40 vari-x 111 that work fine. along with the scope i told them i am on the edge of buying a 4.5x14x50 mark4 tactical for the gun that is in the mail now from (50).they could care less.their rep asked "if i bought this new"and their warranty said it didnt matter if you're the original owner?i'm going to badmouth them till the make this right.they wont even e-mail me back and i have not said anything rude or nasty. this scope is defective and they are not fixing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Theres probably been numerous changes over the years mechanically and otherwise. I think they are fobbing you off either because they will not or cant rectify the defect.
Now its cost you 3 carriages already, how many more before they set up the scope properly or replace? I think they are hoping you are going to get fed up and give up.

In the past i have known Leupold replace a genuine Mark 4 M1x16 courtesy of airport baggage handling and repair foc an EFR PR modded scope driven over by a Landrover within a few days.

Just check the eye relief at low mag for starters. Secondly on 9 mag what distance does this scope go out of focus ie 30 yards or 50?
Alternatively, when the scope is delivered, accidently on purpose drop it in front of the wagons rear wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong that I'm defending Leupold but some of those early scopes from the 60's didn't have the best focus and some even appear dark. I had one finally send it back in for a new tube that ended that. Now the question is should leupold give you a new scope to replace that one. If it was me I'd send it in for a new tube or even a reticle change of course you will have to pay. You can always send the scope out to Ackerman or Wally Siebert and see what they think. As to the adjustments sure in those early scope there wasn't very much. Preimer Reticles used to change those dial adjustment to clicks. I had one dealing from leupold that didn't go my way so send the scope to Wally no big deal it hasn't stopped me from buy leupold scopes or bad mouthing them. At some point a scope will just wear out. Just my .02

i just saved premier reticles in favorites,they stock badger rings and bases and the scope i am(was)looking at.i told leupold i would pay to make it a vx-11 and they never responded (i copied the letter to customer service and their sales dept),again "they won't e-mail me back!"i told them "my credit card is ready" it must be "temp worker season?" really they're yanking me?
ackerman or walley siebert? do you have a contact?
http://www.premierreticles.com/ is south of me by like 3hrs,but i have relatives near there and am due for a visit.
so much for lifetime?

How old is this scope ? Do you want them to send you a new one?Has this scope lost it's seal?Is their a scope manufacturer out there that would entertain any questions re: scope performance/replacement.

A 36 yr. old scope is /has been providing service for a spell.

June 1, 2005

RE: LEUPOLD 3X9X40 VARI-X II, SERIAL #391849

Dear Leupold Customer Service:

I have been a happy customer for many years. I own five Leupold scopes, which are two Vari-X II and three Vari-X III. Leupold scopes are my favorite because of their good quality and performance. However, I do have a major concern with this particular scope.

This Leupold 3X9X40 Vari-X II scope has been returned before to your company for a turret lock-up. Unfortunately, there is still something very wrong with it.

My shooting buddies and I have tried this scope on five different rifles and the turret dials are always way off center. Either the crosshairs are canted, the lenses are out of line or there is something else wrong with this scope. Recently, the scope looks like the vertical crosshairs are about ¼ " to the right of center and the top left area is fuzzy and the bottom right looks blacked out like looking through the edge of the lens.

The scope was sighted in at 100 yards at the current setting on my wife's .243. The scope's optic quality is poor. It's like looking through the lenses at a very sharp angle. I can't even get the crosshairs leveled. For all I know, the tube may be damaged.

In conclusion, I have never been satisfied with this scope and would like to make arrangements through your department for a Leupold 3X9X40 Vari-X II replacement for my 100% customer satisfaction. I do not want this scope repaired and returned because I am tired of wasting my ammunition. This scope will be sent to your company on June 2, 2005. Thank you for your time and I'll be in touch
Mark
adress removed

P.S. I am currently having a custom gun made for long range hunting and will need a new scope for it. My number one choice is Leupold's 4.5X14X50 LRM1 Mark 4 long range target/tactical. If a new Leupold 3X9X40 Vari-X II is sent to me, I will make arrangements with your sales department soon to purchase the 4.5X14X50 LRM1 Mark 4. My credit card is ready.
now you have the first letter!
they replaced the "erector" i installed it on the .243 it was "as stated" at the end of adjustment and zerod at 100 yds.it was terrible. sent back and they returned it and will not respond! thats bad for buisness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

now im badmouthing them! and not buying another until this is resolved

Bucknutz, Leupold warranty states they will repair or replace at there option. Should they replace a 36yr scope? I can see both sides of the coin but have to also consider the serviceable life of the scope is the repair or replacement based on that. I think those should be question you need to ask Leupold and there has to be a reason why they don't replace that scope. I've been dealing with leupold scopes now for over 40yrs and have found them to be more than fair and like I said I had one deal that didn't go my way but they explain their point and looking back if I was in that business I would of done the same thing.

Before I sent that scope in for a Reticle I would just buy a new one. It will cost you $150 to send it in and you can buy that scope on sale for about $230.00 where I live in the fall. I bet you could find one on ebay at a good price. if you ask me Leupold should replace it. What is it going to cost them? I bet if they took care of it you would still buy their scopes right? This day and age most company's just do not get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

my point exactly! as stated credit card is ready? duh? they should replace it! i would have paid a reasonable difference,for the "upgrade"and bought a new one.their sales ignored me also.we'll see after i get it back and try it again.but its obvious it will be the same.maybe a wild boar will run it down next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifits possible?

I don't want to rub salt into the wound but over the years I have sent a few Leupolds back to the factory for service. At times I only "suspected" an internal scope problem. Service was fast and efficient. I can't say enough good things about Leupold and continue to buy their products.

Without taking sides; is it possible that your scope is all that it can reasonably be, considering its date of manufacturer? Quality customer service breeds repeat business. I can't believe that Leupold would allowed you to remain disatisfied without believing that it has handled your complaint fairly.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

Roper

Its a life time warranty.
When it was new it was sold as having a life time warranty so they should back it 100%.
Taurus also offers a life time warranty, I have just gotten back a 31 year old Taurus pistol with several thousand rounds thru it, they completely reworked it and re blued it and I only paid the shipping to them. Thats service and thats why I buy their pistols.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.