Leupold "Tactical" Scope Warranty

Jerry D

I always assumed they were the same as their hunting line, Full Lifetime Guarantee... however I just found out that they state this in regards to their tactical line scope warranty

"Warranties on Leupold® Mark 4®, Mark 2®, and Tactical optical products vary depending on use and other factors."

They give a number to call for more info but I'd rather just ask before bugging them on the phone...

Anyhow I'm just wondering - I like the 4.5-14 long range scope. I see this is in the VX III line 30 mm main tube etc target turrets etc etc.. however I have a good price on the Mark 4 model that has the same specs besides being built a tad heavier.

The warranty on the Mark 4 would most definitely be better than the vx III? I am only using this scope for long range target shooting and varmint hunting. No military/tactical use is in the foreseeable future.

Thanks if you know any details... if not I'll give them a shot tomorrow.

They have the same warranty.

If you are looking for a Leupold we have good prices on them.

Mike @ CSGW

I have called leupold on this issue, and the guy said they have to say that in writing because of extreme use military or LE applications. He said to a consumer its the same lifetime warranty as all of the others.

I have called leupold on this issue, and the guy said they have to say that in writing because of extreme use military or LE applications. He said to a consumer its the same lifetime warranty as all of the others.

That is 100% correct.

Mike @ CSGW

Leupold has had a lot a quality issues on the MK4 line with canted reticles and tracking issues in the past. Some folks get theirs fixed others don't as it's hit and miss. The canted reticle issue was big and Leupold pretty much ignored users stating the reticle cant was within their specs. Sorry when I spend over a grand for their top of the line scope I want the reticle straight, not canted.

A lot of tactical shooters have given up on Leupold as they have not kept up with the tactical shooters requirements and quality and CS has been poor at times. This is why I've sold all my Leopold's tactical scopes.

If you're looking for a tactical scope, there are much better choices than Leupold often for less money.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Vortex tactical scope line.

Jeff has a point...kinda. Leupold did pretty much set the stardard to which others are compared. Nowadays, however, they seem to be their own worse enemy.

Links, I thought that companies went over seas because the higher ups were only worried about making bigger profits instead of making a quality product.

I love the way we treat american companies. No wonder why they go overseas.

It's not a matter of them being an American company or not. Products that are behind the competition in features, mediocre to poor CS is just that. It doesn't make a difference if they're American or foreign. All of my scopes are made by US companies. The best I own are my tactical scopes from US Optics which has the best product, glass and CS in the industry bar none! My hunting scopes are made by Burris and Vortex which have tremendous products and customer support.

As of six years ago Leupold was the top scope for the tactical shooters and I would bet 95% of competitors I competed with had them on their rifles. Now Leupold makes up maybe 25% to 30% of the competitors scopes and that's declining. The question is why? Other manufactures started offering better products with superior glass, with the features tactical shooters were asking for and rock solid CS. Leupold never responded and has made few if any changes to their MK 4 line. Throw in mediocre to poor CS and it helps to answer the question why. As I said when I pay over a grand for a company's top of line scope and the reticle is canted and it doesn't track as stated and I have issues getting them to corrected the problem, well I'm going else where.

I've heard they're CS for their hunting scopes is very good though I've never owned one. It's not a matter of how we're treating a US company, but how a US company is responding and supporting us.

Leupold has had a lot a quality issues on the MK4 line with canted reticles and tracking issues in the past. Some folks get theirs fixed others don't as it's hit and miss. The canted reticle issue was big and Leupold pretty much ignored users stating the reticle cant was within their specs. Sorry when I spend over a grand for their top of the line scope I want the reticle straight, not canted.

A lot of tactical shooters have given up on Leupold as they have not kept up with the tactical shooters requirements and quality and CS has been poor at times. This is why I've sold all my Leopold's tactical scopes.

If you're looking for a tactical scope, there are much better choices than Leupold often for less money.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Vortex tactical scope line.

Hi Jeff,

I'm not trying to start anything or disvalue our feelings for you have the right to your opinion.

Leupold at times has issues with canted reticles. Tracking issues I really have not seen this but at times have seen erecter systems stick then the scope does not adjust at all or does not adjust correctly. This has happened to Every Maker we have sold at one point. You tend to hear more issues about Leupold NOT because they do not make a good quality scopes but BECAUSE they SELL more SCOPES then the other companies so you see more issues. Leupold's Fell Rate is actually lower compared to some other companies. My S&B did not track correctly, we sold a Nightforce that came back because the reticle was canted, and we had some USO come back because they did not track right. Again every scope has a fell rate it just when will it happen and to whom is the question.

You say tactical shooters have given up on Leupold but I have not seen this to be the case. I would use more Leupold myself if they did 1/10mil turret on Mil-Reticles. At this time I use 3 MK4. Also some of the best Tactical shoots I have seen use Leupold. I will say more of the Hardcore Tactical shooters are going with S&B, USO, and Nightforce.

Thank Jeff,

Hi Jeff,

I'm not trying to start anything or disvalue our feelings for you have the right to your opinion.

Leupold at times has issues with canted reticles. Tracking issues I really have not seen this but at times have seen erecter systems stick then the scope does not adjust at all or does not adjust correctly. This has happened to Every Maker we have sold at one point. You tend to hear more issues about Leupold NOT because they do not make a good quality scopes but BECAUSE they SELL more SCOPES then the other companies so you see more issues. Leupold's Fell Rate is actually lower compared to some other companies. My S&B did not track correctly, we sold a Nightforce that came back because the reticle was canted, and we had some USO come back because they did not track right. Again every scope has a fell rate it just when will it happen and to whom is the question.

You say tactical shooters have given up on Leupold but I have not seen this to be the case. I would use more Leupold myself if they did 1/10mil turret on Mil-Reticles. At this time I use 3 MK4. Also some of the best Tactical shoots I have seen use Leupold. I will say more of the Hardcore Tactical shooters are going with S&B, USO, and Nightforce.

Thank Jeff,

Mike,

Never any issues between us.

I feel as well as many others that Leupold believes that being the biggest is being the best. There has been no real innovation coming from them in years but gimmicks and huge price increases.

You want 1/10 mil turret as well as many other shooters, Leupold won't even consider adding it, so the tactical shooters goes else where. When I had a canted reticle and my scope tracked .20 moa instead of .25 moa and I couldn't get them to fix it because it was within their specs I gave up. That's poor CS. Almost $1300 for scope that I couldn't get fixed, so I sold them!

When I got my first US Optics scope it came with wrong reticle. A call to John Williams III and he said it would be 4 weeks until they could ship me a new scope due to a military contract they had to finish. However, in the mean time use the snot out of the one I had. He also said don't worry about abuse or ring marks. He apologized and a little less than a month later my new scope arrived. That's fantastic CS.

I've heard from many sources that Leupold's wasn't viewed well at this years 09 SHOT show. No real innovation, just the old VX-III repackaged and renamed the VX-3 but large price increases.

Here's Scott Berish's of Liberty Optic's review of most of the scope manufactures at this SHOT show. Leupold is on day two of his blog and even though he reps Leupold he pulled no punches and gave an honest assessment Leupold which I'm sure they're not happy with. Sometimes the truth hurts.

The view through the Liberty Optic

I have stuck with three brands of rifle scope, Leupold, Burris and Nightforce.

I had two warranty returns with Burris, small drops of sealant splattered onto the inside of the lenses under recoil. You could just see these drops but they were annoying, so I returned them to Burris who fixed the problem no question asked and in quick time - well done!

No warranty issues with Nightforce!!

One warranty return with Leupold. This scope 3-9x40 VXII would shift 4 inches at 100 yards every time I took it out! This scope cost me the trophy of a lifetime. Leupold returned the scope to me unfixed and stated that the shifting reticle was a design feature due to the reticle pivot point being where the rings grip onto the scope or some such bull.
I still own one Leupold scope and it works fine but it will be the last one I ever buy.

This is a case of how an American Company was treating it's customers. Consumers go where they can get the best bang for their buck. There's no sense in throwing good money after bad to prop up a company that ****es on it's customers, foreign or domestic.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts