Ultimate new hunting rifle build

Optic: Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 in a Warne Mount....I'm not a fan of the optic, but I wanted a light ffp Christmas tree reticle with capped turrets....are there others?

the original VX6, at least the one I have, is a capped turret with Varmint reticle (not exactly the Christmas tree), it works great for me.

Personally I would start with a crf m70 or a hs precision action. I like the three position safety, just a personal choice, and not a fan of the push feed M70's. The hs is also one of my fav's, all of mine are very reliable which is more than what I have seen from several other actions.

Say a stainless M70 short magnum CRF with the old style trigger, 26" proof sendero contour barrel in one of the wildcat short 338's (ss, wsm etc) and a truely nice piece of walnut- possibly done Cerus stocks style with carbon stingers built laminate style with book matched walnut slabs. A bit of old school with the walnut and M70 mixed with some modern flair.
The stock would need to make this look like a econo 2x4 (m70 supergrade)

Attachments

• 7AE09633-8D1A-4D29-98DB-D2C2E8FF69C2.jpeg
    7AE09633-8D1A-4D29-98DB-D2C2E8FF69C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
Gone, I'll suggest an option. This is dependent on how much you want to get in to the build process. Consider getting a Seekins Havak Element. They are coming out with it in long action soon. Get it in 300 PRC, 24" barrel. They have a longer mag for seating the long high BC stuff,
should weigh in at sub 6# bare.
They come with a Good list of quality factory components. You can also tweak the build via their custom shop if you want to alter components, color, or cartridge options.
Add some quality glass of your choice, maybe NX8. Add a CAL or EVO bipod.
Then maybe contact Unknown Munitions & have them work with ya on load development.
You may even consider visiting both if you'd like a more personal experience.
Enjoy,
HuntnPack.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see what others come up with on this one.
You're requirements are in a bit of a conflict with each other. Long range guns are usually in the heavier side like 9.5#+.
Long range cartridges that have great terminal ballistics start at 30 cal and go up from there. US Snipers have used 300 wm/300 prc/338 Lapua for their long distance work.
If I were in your shoes, I'd take my 338 edge - but it weighs just under 10# and is a 33 cal. It has an amazing amount of smack. It makes my 300 wm look weak when ringing steel. And the BCs on the bullets are great. I could reduce the weight of the gun by adding a manners eh5, but the weight is welcomed with this cartridge. My total cost with optics (vx6hd) and CF barrel was less than 5k.

Good luck

At your age and with your budget I would look hard at a Blaser...multiple barrels, extremely accurate and reliable, very nice overall rifles with endless options and configurations.

But, if you're stuck on a traditional bolt rifle...I would build a 7mm Rem Mag on a Lone Peak Razor TI with a fluted #3 or a carbon barrel in a McMillan Hunter stock and top it off with a Huskemaw 3-12 in some Talleys.
I use a cooper model 92 with a 5x20x50 huskama scope with talley rings right at a little over 7lbs with trigger tech trigger absolute perfect light to carry for miles hiking shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yes I've killed elk at 700 yes no problem

Your budget is quite nice for getting a new shooting stick. I have never built a custom rifle but hope to some day. As someone stated earlier a custom rifle from Gunwerks is a good choice. I am a huge advocate of the Gunwerks rifle and shooting systems. I purchased one of their rifles quite a few years ago and it has never let me down. I have purchased many other rifles since but always go back to the LR1000 when elk season rolls around. The confidence I achieved in shooting this system has been a god send. I did also attend one of their classes in Wyoming. The system they have built is well thought out and works. The combination of the rifle, rifle scope and the G7 rangefinder has kept me on target out to 1400 yards on targets and out to 800 yards on critters. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to shoot a critter with my rifle out past 800 but one day I hope to and I know this system will do it. I shoot a 7mmLRM and just love it but they are certainly offered in other calibers that components are a little easier to come by. The 28 and 30 Nosler both come to mind as great calibers that I think will be around for along time and there are lots of different bullet combinations to choose from to suit your needs. I am sorry to hear this may be your last hunt. I hope that is not the case. Good luck with your endeavor and please let us know how it turns out. New Zealand is on my bucket list as well. I hope to get there some day.

At your age and with your budget I would look hard at a Blaser...multiple barrels, extremely accurate and reliable, very nice overall rifles with endless options and configurations.

But, if you're stuck on a traditional bolt rifle...I would build a 7mm Rem Mag on a Lone Peak Razor TI with a fluted #3 or a carbon barrel in a McMillan Hunter stock and top it off with a Huskemaw 3-12 in some Talleys.

I second the Blaser recommendation. Have been incredibly happy with my Blasers. Only wish I had found the platform earlier.

Uno mas - if you are confident with your 300 RUM - I would save that $12K and also go on a self guided Safari in Africa ! I am checking out Namibia - very safe - and can go hunt Plains game for a couple days (with a guide - or properly placed on his reserve with a tracker - mainly for Gemsbuck/Oryx or Kudu - and save a couple roasts while giving the rest of the meat to local villagers) - and also go photo shoot the BIG 5 - quite reasonably priced - even with taking the wife along. :)

Well, O.K. then. Your writing leaves a lot to be desired since it does not come close to stating what you thought you meant. I am an excellent reader, you're a poor writer.

You're such a know-it-all and think you have all the answers, I'll simply bow out and let you keep the higher opinion of yourself intact.

Best of luck on your hunt both for the rifle and the Stag.;):)
MAIS NON SABLE TIREUR. Friendly - please. :)

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!
First--I'm just a couple of years younger, so I understand where you're coming from. I wish I had your build budget, but maybe if I wasn't doing things like planning for my 5th trip to SA next year, I would have. Unfortunately I just had to postpone my trip to NZ I was supposed to leave for in two weeks. I had planned it and had dates set for two years. It was also planned to help celebrate our 50th anniversary, and I had booked an additional 3 weeks of travel in the North and South Islands. That's something you might want to consider. Make certain you apply for your entry permit at least 120 days prior to departure, and that you have proof of its approval with you.

Unfortunately there are many changes in gun regulations going on in NZ which you need to keep abreast of. Confiscation of some firearms by the police has already been reported, and there are indications that it's just the first wave. I had planned on carrying my rifle with me, but new regulations make traveling with a rifle as a non Kiwi almost impossible. My outfitter was adamant that I not do so, in case we were stopped by the police while driving, or if we incurred problems bringing the gun into lodging/leaving it in the hotel/car.

An additional note--make sure your boots are pristine clean--you'll have to have them on top of your gear, as they will be checked, hauled out and dipped in chemicals to prevent you carrying in organisms/foreign matter into the country. Have a plastic bag ready to put them in after the treatment.

As for guns--sorry, not a custom gun guy. But years of experience shooting out to the high 400's with a 300WinMag makes me an advocate of that round. At SCI I've talk to the Gun Works and Best of the West guys and have learned a few things. One--if you want to shoot that far--take a resident course. Two--although they show the 700-1000 yard shots on TV, those guys rarely if ever let the school clients do it. When in the field they always have spotters and use radios to help locate the game shot at those distances. The owner of one of the shooting schools that includes a hunt told me he has a test for students who want to hunt at ranges beyond 500 yards. He takes them to a place that has plates at various unmarked distances and gives them one bullet. He picks the plate to shoot at. If they can hit it on the first shot, they can pick their hunting distance. To date only one client has met his test.

Good luck, I hope things go well. If you know the outfitter you want in 2021, you best book now as all this year's and next year's clients are having to be accommodated in 2021, and things there are a mess.

Do you know the energy required for a clean effective kill at 1200yrds?
Its a lot different to hitting steel!!

I know a lot of you guys one here are well versed in this sort of thing as far as knowing the knock down power at those distances but an Elk if a pretty big animal & I my thoughts are something that would retain a lot of energy like .338 Lapua?
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a 6.5 doing the job at that distance, most of them excluding say the 6.5x284 are nearing the subsonic realm about then.

Was this directed at me or the OP?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.