Hunting rifle build

TC338

Heres another what should I do thread.
I've got a Howa 1500 308 that has lots of sentimental value to me and I want to make this my do all hunting rifle. I hunt in central Oklahoma so shots can vary from 20 yards to over 800 on my hunting properties. I probably won't shoot beyond 600 but it is a possibility. I need to be able to shoot this rifle from a tree stand, stalk the timber shooting offhand, as well as shoot longer ranges prone. I'm set in using this action. What I need opinions on is the best stock for me, and the best chambering. I just found where PTG is offering mag faced SA bolts for my action, so that is an option as well. Give me your suggestions and why please. I'll be hunting whitetail almost exclusively.

Only you can decide on a stock, they all fit differently and there's a huge range of pricing . I prefer McMillan but there's many quality stocks available. As for cartridges, you're in a short action so I would look at the various short magnums in 6.5, 7mm and .30 . If you don't want a magnum, I would look at a 260 Rem, 7-08 and similar rounds that will work with your current bolt face. Do you reload ?

Only you can decide on a stock, they all fit differently and there's a huge range of pricing . I prefer McMillan but there's many quality stocks available. As for cartridges, you're in a short action so I would look at the various short magnums in 6.5, 7mm and .30 . If you don't want a magnum, I would look at a 260 Rem, 7-08 and similar rounds that will work with your current bolt face. Do you reload ?
Yes I do reload.

There you go TC338 ! PM elkaholic about his family of cartridges. Lots of options for you to ponder .

Not much doubt in my mind with head stamped brass coming :D
Rich,
I have been watching your SS info for a long time and the only reason I have not built one yet was the brass prep. I'm definitely interested now!!! What velocities are you seeing with the 6.5-140g vs the 7-180g? I'm leaning towards 7 as in Oklahoma you have to be shooting 270 or larger to hunt elk.

What stocks would you guys recommend and why! I've never had a vertical style and really don't have access to any different stocks to try them out. I do know I cannot currently get a steady cheek weld on my sporter stock due to the height of my optic. I really don't like using my jaw bone as my anchor point.

I am thinking I will go with the McMillan game warden light for my own build in the planning stage. They make it with adj cheek if you want. I figure if I have to I will ad adj cheek to it but hoping I will not have to. Going to keep tje scope obj smaller.

Steve

Guess I didnt say why. Looks to be the nicest light stock I can get for the win. I didn't look that close but I think they will inlet for the Howa.

Steve

Focus on the style of stock, and optic, that suits your hunting style best. In other words pick a weight range, and that will narrow the components some.
Many cartridges will fit the bill, but as you reload, and don't mind the extra steps go with one of Rich's SS line in whatever diameter suits you best.
Always an element of education, and entertainment with the wildcats that isn't found in the middle of the road.

Heres another what should I do thread.
I've got a Howa 1500 308 that has lots of sentimental value to me and I want to make this my do all hunting rifle. I hunt in central Oklahoma so shots can vary from 20 yards to over 800 on my hunting properties. I probably won't shoot beyond 600 but it is a possibility. I need to be able to shoot this rifle from a tree stand, stalk the timber shooting offhand, as well as shoot longer ranges prone. I'm set in using this action. What I need opinions on is the best stock for me, and the best chambering. I just found where PTG is offering mag faced SA bolts for my action, so that is an option as well. Give me your suggestions and why please. I'll be hunting whitetail almost exclusively.
from what l have been reading on the internet the 6.5 creedmoor is the way to go. you can take anything from rabits to eliphants. its got a efective range out to 800 yards for hunting. just what you need.!

Rich,
I have been watching your SS info for a long time and the only reason I have not built one yet was the brass prep. I'm definitely interested now!!! What velocities are you seeing with the 6.5-140g vs the 7-180g? I'm leaning towards 7 as in Oklahoma you have to be shooting 270 or larger to hunt elk.
There's elk in Oklahoma?!
I'd also recommend one of Rich's SS thumpers. I pushed my old 7mm SS pretty hard, so if you're looking for speed at higher pressures occasionally... that little 7mm can scream with the 180 Hybrids

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.