Ultimate new hunting rifle build

Gone Ballistic

At 73 years of age I want to build my last rifle. I am looking for something to kill elk size game up to 1200 yards, as I am entertaining a red stag hunt in New Zealand. Due to health issues this will most likely be my final hunt so, in some respects, I consider it a hunt of a lifetime. I have a budget for up to $12K. I don't want under a 6.5mm cal or over a 30. I already have a 300RUM so that is outside of the choices. I want to keep it under 8 lbs.
What caliber would you build if you could build your favorite rifle?
So, let's first look at which action will be the best? What barrel and length? What trigger and pull weight? What magazine? What stock and style? What bipod assembly and mount? What recoil pad? What scope mount? What scope rings? What scope and crosshairs? What type of finish and color? Lastly, what Smith should I use for my build?
Hopefully, after ferreting through your thoughts and suggestions, I will be able to blend as close to the perfect build I can put together. Then see what your thoughts are on what I have chosen to build and who will build it.
Thanking you all in advance!

At your age and with your budget I would look hard at a Blaser...multiple barrels, extremely accurate and reliable, very nice overall rifles with endless options and configurations.

But, if you're stuck on a traditional bolt rifle...I would build a 7mm Rem Mag on a Lone Peak Razor TI with a fluted #3 or a carbon barrel in a McMillan Hunter stock and top it off with a Huskemaw 3-12 in some Talleys.

Elk sized game out to 1200 yards, probably one of the .30 magnums since you stated .30 as the max caliber. With a budget of $12k, you have a lot of options for sure. Gunwerks seems to have a dedicated following amongst folks with your budget. They send you a 'turn key' rig with all of the load work up completed. Good luck on your hunt and hopefully you have many more beyond your NZ hunt.

28nosler would be a solid pic since you have a 300 run. Would go with that or do one of the terminator rounds from Defensive Edge with a +P throat. The 300 terminator shooting the 245 Berger EOLs would be sweet. And I have always been a Leupold guy but would like to one day buy a nightforce atacr 5-25x56

I would go to Travis at RBros Rifles. 7RBH or 300RBH depending on which caliber you want in his LW Hunter configuration. I have a 7mm RM in his LWLR Hunter and a 6mm CM in his LW Hunter. Both are fantastic rifles.

Do you know the energy required for a clean effective kill at 1200yrds?
Its a lot different to hitting steel!!

I know a lot of you guys one here are well versed in this sort of thing as far as knowing the knock down power at those distances but an Elk if a pretty big animal & I my thoughts are something that would retain a lot of energy like .338 Lapua?
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a 6.5 doing the job at that distance, most of them excluding say the 6.5x284 are nearing the subsonic realm about then.

Lane Precision Rifles. Dallas can answer all of your questions and recommend something that will fit your needs.

I would also look at Piercision Rifles too. Ryan Pierce is well known as what he can do with a 300 Norma Mag Improved and the 28 Nosler.

Between these two guys I feel confident they can get you what you want and a lot less than 12 K.

Good luck and I hope you have a lot more hunts left in the tank.

28nosler would be a solid pic since you have a 300 run. Would go with that or do one of the terminator rounds from Defensive Edge with a +P throat. The 300 terminator shooting the 245 Berger EOLs would be sweet. And I have always been a Leupold guy but would like to one day buy a nightforce atacr 5-25x56
I have two ATACR's, one in 5x25x56 and a 7x35x56 as well as several Nightforce NXS scopes. Preferably I prefer shooting a lower power 3.5x15 and want to keep this rifle as light as possible. So I will look for scopes lighter than Nightforce (which is my favorite scope) for this build, maybe? Appreciate your input and thank you!

Lane Precision Rifles. Dallas can answer all of your questions and recommend something that will fit your needs.

I would also look at Piercision Rifles too. Ryan Pierce is well known as what he can do with a 300 Norma Mag Improved and the 28 Nosler.

Between these two guys I feel confident they can get you what you want and a lot less than 12 K.

Good luck and I hope you have a lot more hunts left in the tank.
Sounds great, thanks!

I know you're going to think this is harsh but I offer a little different viewpoint to arrive at a proper assessment.

1×1 Trophy Red Stag Hunt
4 Days (3 Nights) Accommodation
1 Red Stag Up To 410″
$10,500
411-450″ $13,000
451-500″ $17,000
501″+ Please Contact Us For Most Up To Date Pricing
$800 per Observer

Do you really think that any outfitter worth his salt is going to take a chance on letting you shoot a trophy Red Stag at 1,200 yards?

A synopsis from one of the many similar websites:

Best Caliber For Red Stag Hunting
Most of our Red Stag deer hunters use cartridges like the 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 Springfield, and the .300 Winchester Magnum. Though they are not quite as large as Elk, Red Deer are still relatively big animals. They can also be very shy, so you need to make the most out of the shot opportunities you get when Red Deer hunting. For this reason, we highly recommend bringing a rifle that you are familiar with and shoot accurately, even if it is chambered in a smaller caliber. Be prepared to take a shot in the 50-250 yard range.

Also consider the amount of hiking and the altitude you will be hunting at. I know most folks clammer for a lightweight rifle thinking it will be easier on them during the hike and the climb. But subtract the 1-1/2 to 2 lbs for the scope and mount and you're asking for a rifle in the 6 lb range to make an accurate and killing shot on a trophy animal at upwards of 1,000 yards while you're breathing hard.

I suggest a little more serious thought before attempting your 'Hunt of a Lifetime'.
Excuse me sir, you didn't read very thoroughly what I wrote. I never mentioned shooting any Red Deer at any amount of yards. I want a rifle capable of killing at that yardage. I also know it is easily achieved at my price point to build with materials lighter, yet stronger, to get to the 8lb. weight.
If you are foolish enough to think that I haven't perused and spoken to New Zealand outfitters and don't know what it will cost me and who I need to use, you're more forbidding than your reply. I don't believe I had this particular question in my request. Your comments don't allude to anything I ask and I'm sure you incurred this type of behavior long before the Covid-19 stay at home orders were issued. I absolutely don't need any of your type of behavioral advice. I married a woman 44 years ago that knows everything! She says: Take a hike!"

Last edited:
Do you know the energy required for a clean effective kill at 1200yrds?
Its a lot different to hitting steel!!

I know a lot of you guys one here are well versed in this sort of thing as far as knowing the knock down power at those distances but an Elk if a pretty big animal & I my thoughts are something that would retain a lot of energy like .338 Lapua?
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a 6.5 doing the job at that distance, most of them excluding say the 6.5x284 are nearing the subsonic realm about then.
Yes and I also know how much it takes to kill an elk at 1318 yards, even make two 30 cal. hits at 3500 yards. I would not entertain less than a 7mm but others creatively with their favorite build might have other things to look at besides caliber. You are mistaken on needing a. 338 Lapua when a 7mm Remington Magnum has taken hundreds of elk at distances farther than that. It's all in the amount of energy your bullet creates at yardage that minimally gives 1500lbs of kinetic energy.

I am building my dream hunting rifle. I did not choose to build a 1200 yd rifle at 8lbs. I believe an 8lb 1200 yd rifle to be an impossibility.

I am building a rifle to take all non-threatening game in Nort America....Elk, Moose, Deer, Antelope, etc. I would like to be able to take them as far as is reasonably possible in a walking weight rifle..~8-9lbs. Probably 600 yards max.

Action: I chose a model 70 as a base action. It is a matured Mauser design of modern materials and manufacturing. Quality gunsmiths have turned Model 70's into amazing tools and works of art. It has a jeweled bolt and a knob in a good location. It could be checkered a bit better, so I will discuss that with my gunsmith. It is about the smoothest action design. That is important to me. It has a good ejector and extractor design. I added PTG aluminum Obendorf latch bottom metal to reduce weight and simplify the bottom metal.

Trigger: Trigger choices are limited, but there are a Timney, Jewel and improving stock as options. I use the a Timney set to 2.25lbs. It is smooth, crisp and without overtravel. I really can't ask for a better hunting trigger. I can adjust, if needed. I will lock down settings at some point.

Barrel: I chose a Brux #3 24" in 300 Sherman...why Brux? Lead time, price and quality. Brux is a sibiling barrel maker of the Obermeyer family....good stuff. Brux has better lead time...about 3 mo...not bad. Why 24"? 24" gives me near magnum velocity and is only slightly slower than 26". No muzzle brake for me hunting.

Stock: This was hard to choose....my hardest choice. I knew I wanted something similar to a supergrade Winchester shape, but composite and stiff. Then I spoke to a gunsmith who was really enamored by stiff stocks and bedding blocks. I talked to the guy who will put this one together and he specifically thought Bell & Carlson made a good stock. I do wish they had better colors, but tan & black works for me. Gonna need the gunsmith to professionally install flush cups. Might get an ARCA rail mounted to threaded inserts too...not sure, but I like that idea.

Optic: Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 in a Warne Mount....I'm not a fan of the optic, but I wanted a light ffp Christmas tree reticle with capped turrets....are there others? I like it. Mounts are QD and Warne is proven to me. I thought Talley, but Talley cannot support my open sight plan.

Open Sights: Yes, these are critical to me. I need a BUIS on the rifle. I need this because I travel to hunt. Optics can and do flake out. Irons usually do not. Plus, if I were looking for a grizzly that went into the thick stuff, I want irons! So, I'm putting NECG red fiber optics up front in a banded hood. A rear peep was selected because I can shoot farther with a peep. Still figuring out the details, but I'm planning a short pic rail to hold the rear peep when not in use.

Extras: Whidden bushing dies, some kind of premium sling...maybe from TIS

Hmmm...Still working on details while Brux makes my pipe!

If I need to go 1200 yards, I have a 15lb chassis rifle in 300 WSM....I'd go there. 15lbs is easier to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.