Turrets or drop cards under 500

Under 300 yards I don't use anything unless p-dog shooting, which I haven't done in over a decade.

For big game, most of my rifles have drop-compensating reticles on 3-9x scopes. They work fine out to 600. Three or four have 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 scopes. Only my Leupold VX-III has a turret (elevation only) but it also has Leupold's Varmint reticle.

ALL my rifles go in the field with a drop card of one form or another. The aforementioned Leupold has both a drop card (out to 600) and a turret setting (out to 650). Was at the range yesterday verifying drops out to 600 on four of my rifles - .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem and .300WM, The Roberts has the Leupold with the single turret, the others all have Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with drop-compensating reticles.

The turret gives me more confidence past 300 but even with the .243 UI was able to knock the center of the 1" bullseye out of the target at 300 on my 3rd shot. (The first two were off to the right due to wind. First was 2-1/2" right and even with the top of the 1" diamond bullseye, the second was 1/2" off the 3:00 corner of the bullseye and half a diameter high, the last nailed the center but was centered vertically and overlapping dead center from the left side. That .243 and the .257 are going antelope hunting in Wyoming next week.

My last shot of the day with the .300WM nailed the 10" steel at 500 - about an inch high and a couple inches right due to the wind. (Aim point was dead center, wind was 20mph from behind and angling a few degrees to the right.) Reticles can work pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.