Making a drop card

1tonpower

I'm working with a 110FCP 300wm topped with an HS-T. I'm using ballistic AE. I don't have a chronograph at the moment so all I can do is check drop at various distances to get an idea of MV. I'm shooting factory hornady match 195BTHP at the moment. I will be loading 215g hybrids after I've collected a good supply of bullets and powder. For now I'm using the 195s to learn what it takes to get my app to match my actual drops.

I've zeroed at 200yards and installed the zero shims. Using the factory supplied load data that's loaded on the app

2" scope hight
MV 2930
BC .550

I set a milk jug out at 350 yards. The app called for 3.25moa U, l send one and connected.
My next outing I was able to get out to 932yards. Slight 3 to 4 o'clock wind and about the same temperature as my last outing. For the record This was my first time attempting this distance with any rifle, let alone one I've owned for 2 weeks.. The app called for 22.75@925yards and I had a wild guess on the wind for 3moa. I cranked the magnification to 24 and let one fly.. I couldn't get settled in time to spot the hit so I backed down to 18X, that's where the retical is calibrated and sent another..splash. I get my poa again and see that I was 1.5 low and 2 right. I make the adjustment and send another. Making an adjustment when I feel that I the rifle missed and it wasn't me pulling the shot. I sent the 4th shot and saw the slash... it looked real close.. I reload the 5th with the same dope and as I'm aiming I see the ground getting wet. It took 23.75u and .25r, I know that practice is the only thing that will help with wind calls. I'm more concerned with getting my app to give me the right come up.

I went back to the app to adjust the imput data. The only thing I changed was the BC. .525 from .550 is all it took to get the out put to match the actual. Now I need to get back out and shoot some random distances to validate the new BC.

For a brand new box stock rifle and over the counter ammo I couldn't be happier. 4th round hit on a jug at 932. I'll take that

786E204E-44A8-491F-901D-EDEA1CE30FD2-943-0000011024C6027A_zpsuq4ndhrn.jpg

B13D1226-13C2-44D9-AE0C-447E40C1E979-943-000001103A4AA01E_zpsl8fhgilc.jpg

431A2B66-57ED-4D53-A366-5860E9B8AA2F-943-000001104B3A3D06_zps9xa3tfy9.jpg

F1DA5433-450B-47DE-B952-7D22FF004A47-943-0000011056BBD66A_zpsq5uojiwb.jpg

I'd call that a great outing for anyone stretching it out that far for the first time!

Looking at your pictures though I have to ask, are you sure your scope is mounted level to your action? It may be the angle but it appears to have a pretty fair cant to the right.

I'd call that a great outing for anyone stretching it out that far for the first time!

Looking at your pictures though I have to ask, are you sure your scope is mounted level to your action? It may be the angle but it appears to have a pretty fair cant to the right.

That is a horrible picture.. if it isn't perfect it is very close.. I checked tracking at 100 yards and POI didn't wonder left or right. I know that isn't the preferred way, I'm going to replace the rings with a set that has an intergrate level built into it. And I will remount the scope with a level on the turret.

That is a horrible picture.. if it isn't perfect it is very close.. I checked tracking at 100 yards and POI didn't wonder left or right. I know that isn't the preferred way, I'm going to replace the rings with a set that has an intergrate level built into it. And I will remount the scope with a level on the turret.
I found out the hard way that it's really hard to tell at 100yds.

On a calm day use a stringline plumb bob at a couple of hundred yards or a perfectly plumb utility pole. Even the edge of a building's corner at 200yds or more will give you a much better picture.

Another I came up with is to use a long carpenter's level to draw a plumb line on an 8' piece of plywood that's set square and plumb to the ground.

Darn nice shooting either way and the angle of the photo may well be what I'm seeing.

The plumbline method is something I learned here and it really works well.

I would not adjust the BC. Bullet manufactures know a lot more about BC than us, its more accurate to use there BC and adjust your velocity.

Lots of factors can play into misses at 925. How you hold the gun, reticle focus, wind, Coriolis, trigger squeeze and on.....

For your first attempts at those distances I wouldn't be too concerned with adjusting, not bad shooting at all.

I would go shoot groups at 600 and put on paper see if your Ballistic app holds true, then do 1000. Then you will know your true MOA per distance. Put those numbers in your app and you will at least have that part of the equation solved

That's my plain next time I go out. I have some fresh painted targets to set up at 4,5 and 600.

I've lined up several scopes well under the stated distances without issue, but I see the validity in the distance, though it may be hard to see the line. I always use gravity, rope, and a weight. Be very meticulous about all aspects.

I haven't shopped for level integrated rings lately, but I'd make sure they are good quality before purchase. Otherwise I'd stick to what you have or upgrade to a reputable name and put a separate level on it like a vortex.

I've lined up several scopes well under the stated distances without issue, but I see the validity in the distance, though it may be hard to see the line. I always use gravity, rope, and a weight. Be very meticulous about all aspects.

I haven't shopped for level integrated rings lately, but I'd make sure they are good quality before purchase. Otherwise I'd stick to what you have or upgrade to a reputable name and put a separate level on it like a vortex.
In my part of the country finding a dead calm day to hang a rope or other plumb line is tough to come by.

If you can verify your drops at, at least 3 different ranges beyond 1000 and tweak your ballistic program to match you can come up with a very reliable drop chart if you're shooting good bullets. Not everyone has a thousand yard range so fortunately some pretty smart people have worked out ways for us to work it out when one is not available.

I had a place for years I could shoot out to 1,400 and man do I miss it, I even lost my 900 yard spot when the place changed hands. Fortunately I have a buddy that has a place I can shoot as far as we can see but it's a 3 hour drive and I hate to impose.

You're definitely on track.

Check the forum with the "Give Away" contests a look, Len has a new advertiser there that's got some rings you might like.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-anti-cant-illumination-lrh-give-away-180817/

Integrated, illuminated anti-cant and rings all in one is definitely a neat concept.

I have a several different ACL's that work well but I'd give a high quality set of rights with an integrated level a try if I had any need for more rings. The Vortex seem to be worth the money and work well with my TSR low rings although you do have to remove the scope to mount them with low rings.

I'm close enough to your part of the country. If its windy close the windows and door. Vertical is vertical regardless if its 10ft or 10,000ft.

After one of you pointed out my scope was canted it turns out it that it was... I picked up a new set of rings and used a level on the receiver and the scope .. his my results after re zeroing the windage

I took my wind meter with my this time, 12 o'clock winds 1-2 steady and gusting to 5-6. I set up the target and my camera out to 400 yards. Dialed 4.5u zero wind and waited for little to no wind.. then left one fly

2819109D-908A-4FAE-91A0-CF86F6B026C4_zps8egh88dk.png

984123D7-3288-4DF4-811D-E01D6908E177_zpsu2hcqbrc.jpg

After one of you pointed out my scope was canted it turns out it that it was... I picked up a new set of rings and used a level on the receiver and the scope .. his my results after re zeroing the windage

I took my wind meter with my this time, 12 o'clock winds 1-2 steady and gusting to 5-6. I set up the target and my camera out to 400 yards. Dialed 4.5u zero wind and waited for little to no wind.. then left one fly

2819109D-908A-4FAE-91A0-CF86F6B026C4_zps8egh88dk.png

984123D7-3288-4DF4-811D-E01D6908E177_zpsu2hcqbrc.jpg
Glad you found it and got it all worked out. Very nice photography.

Thanks for pointing it out. I had planned on getting better rings.. you gave me an excuse to do it sooner...

I'm with plinker on this. Use the supplied BC,or call them.Adjust your fps to match drop from 100 yrd to 300 yrd.then test it at 500. What app do you have. Some are pretty generic. You need one that takes in every bit of info you can give it.Temp,wind,shooting angle,target azimuth, humidity, bar pressure, altitude, lat and long.,density altitude, bullet length,and barrel info,and spin drift. It's a lot to learn, but is very rewarding when you punch paper at 1000 yrd + on the first shot.

Also ,you generally gather your dope each time you go out. The weather will almost never be the same as the time you made your chart. Your app should record all the inputs at the time of zeroing, then compensate for current conditions.
Enjoy your journey.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.