looking for a quality spotting scope under $500

longrangefreek

I hope that someone out there can help. Im looking for a quality spotting scope for under $500. Quality on a budget is what I would like to call it. Any info would be greatly appriciated

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a decent bushnell 24-36x60 that was given to me, but I'm looking for a little more power and maybe a little better quality. I'll be paying close attention to the responses you get on this thread. I was thinking about going with this one Burris 25-75x70 XTS2575 Spotter I love how compact it is, yet very powerful. I haven't looked through one in person. I'd say for $500 you'll end up in very good shape. Few guys at the other long range forum I frequent, love Kowa spotting scopes.

For good quality, at the price you mentioned look for a used Kiowa. They are good scopes and tough as the best. The higher the mm, the better the low light vision using the same power. The variable power eyepiece are not what I prefer. The 20x to 25x fixed eyepieces are my preferred eyepiece. The last I looked the eyepiece power option varies, depending upon the model. For hunting I prefer the staight, not angled, scope. Good luck!!

Landcb,

DONT BUY THE BURRIS XTS!!! they are garbage. I liked the design too so I bought one. besides having an overall cheap feel the glass sucked. It was pretty much useless at any power over about 45. the focus knob was horrible to deal with and eye relief was crap. I took it back the next day and bought a leupold gold ring 15x30x50 compact for around 400. I love it. I backpack hunt so it is awesome to pack with for its size and weight. definately look at these! also my buddy bought a Nikon prostaff that is excellent. bigger then mine but comes in a kit for under 500! good luck

Friends dont let friends buy Burris XTSs

There has been a lot of talk about the new Vortex optics on an other forum that I visit. I personaly have not looked through one yet. With all the good reviews that everyone is giving them I would at lest see what all the talk is about.

400bull

Vortex is getting lots of great reviews!!
I picked one up but have not had time to play with it yet.
As 400bull said at least check it out!
I assume 400bull was talking about monster mulie dot com

CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.