270 or 308 for 500 and under?

Went to the LGS Sunday just to touch and feel. Didn't expect much because it's a relatively small store. They had a used Tikka 308 on the shelf $425. Didn't look to be shot much but appeared to ride in a case a lot. The rifle felt great. I compared it to the RAR, and a Savage, plus a 700. Did not check out the Kimber Ascent, too pricey.

Because I was still unsure about caliber, I left the store to think about it while Chrismas shopping with the wife. decided I wanted the Tikka so back to the LGS we go. Just walked through the door and there is a gun standing in the check out line with the Tikka!

That night while cruising the 'net I find a used Tikka, but in 270 this time. I swap a few PMs with the guy and end buying it for $430 with a set of Leupold rings.

Sometimes it's nice to have your mind made up for you. I will be getting a 308 at some point though.

Went to the LGS Sunday just to touch and feel. Didn't expect much because it's a relatively small store. They had a used Tikka 308 on the shelf $425. Didn't look to be shot much but appeared to ride in a case a lot. The rifle felt great. I compared it to the RAR, and a Savage, plus a 700. Did not check out the Kimber Ascent, too pricey.

Because I was still unsure about caliber, I left the store to think about it while Chrismas shopping with the wife. decided I wanted the Tikka so back to the LGS we go. Just walked through the door and there is a gun standing in the check out line with the Tikka!

That night while cruising the 'net I find a used Tikka, but in 270 this time. I swap a few PMs with the guy and end buying it for $430 with a set of Leupold rings.

Sometimes it's nice to have your mind made up for you. I will be getting a 308 at some point though.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ction+Centerfire/REM+700+SS+308+24+5R+MILSPEC

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.