Tuning for long range

One sign of how consistent your seating force is the oal length to the ogive of your loaded rounds. Big variations case to case shows big variation in seating friction. Assuming your bullets are reasonably consistent.

What size variation are you speaking of? What is the max you consider good?

I have a couple more questions but there mostly about brass.

Do you seperate or have you seen a big difference in cases fire different amount of times?

How often do you anneal large overboard cases?

Have you noticed difference in how much shoulder bump back effects es and accuracy?

A fired case in my 28 will not rechamber. I sized until it would close then added .002. Ended up from a fired case to FL resized .0035-.004.

Do you seperate or have you seen a big difference in cases fire different amount of times?

How often do you anneal large overboard cases?

Have you noticed difference in how much shoulder bump back effects es and accuracy?

A fired case in my 28 will not rechamber. I sized until it would close then added .002. Ended up from a fired case to FL resized .0035-.004.
I keep all my cases on the same firing and dont mix them. If I find annealing improves accuracy in that particular rifle I will do it every firing. Set back amount is not as importance as keeping them consistent. It effect seating depth when the shoulder is moved as well as ignition. You are sizing like I would, most cases will not rechamber with out sizing.

From experience I would agree with Alex that excessive shoulder bump can affect ignition. I would add that it can shorten brass life when taken to the extreme and even cause case head separation. Extending case life is my main reason for using custom dies that are sized according to brass fired in said rifles chamber.
Hard chambering is not always as a result of shoulder bump. If your die is not sizing the brass according to the chamber dimensions, it does no good to keep shoving the shoulder rearward. Another reason that I vote for custom dies.

Been thinking about this for a while just never thrown it out the...but with this conversation turning right in this direction.

I have two new rifles that have been chambered professionally...not factory! My thoughts are that these two rifles have tight chambers. When I full length size cases there is very little resistance compared to brass from my factory guns.

I'm assuming when they head spaced the barrels they set them very tight. So when I head spaced my Savage 264wm build I purposely set the head space very tight. Brass from it glides through the FL sizer also. But I also have 264 once fired brass from other guns that have the resistance that I'm used to feeling. I've reloaded since the late 70's all factory chamber guns so that is what I'm used to feeling when full length sizing .

So right now I have 4 guns that I feel tight chambers/minumal head space...I head spaced my 6.5x55 M48 mauser build the same way...when the bolt just barely would close I stopped. Douglas did my 6.5-06 and ER Shaw is my 300wm all of them the only real resistance is the expander ball pulling out of the neck.

So...if I'm right and is there really any need to neck size onlyf or long range accuracy ?

Been thinking about this for a while just never thrown it out the...but with this conversation turning right in this direction.

I have two new rifles that have been chambered professionally...not factory! My thoughts are that these two rifles have tight chambers. When I full length size cases there is very little resistance compared to brass from my factory guns.

I'm assuming when they head spaced the barrels they set them very tight. So when I head spaced my Savage 264wm build I purposely set the head space very tight. Brass from it glides through the FL sizer also. But I also have 264 once fired brass from other guns that have the resistance that I'm used to feeling. I've reloaded since the late 70's all factory chamber guns so that is what I'm used to feeling when full length sizing .

So right now I have 4 guns that I feel tight chambers/minumal head space...I head spaced my 6.5x55 M48 mauser build the same way...when the bolt just barely would close I stopped. Douglas did my 6.5-06 and ER Shaw is my 300wm all of them the only real resistance is the expander ball pulling out of the neck.

So...if I'm right and is there really any need to neck size onlyf or long range accuracy ?

IMO, neck sizing only can cause a lot of case neck to case body run-out. Happens with a couple different neck dies I have. When I FL size, I get no neck run-out at all and get straighter ammo. I think this effect it worst than any effect from bumping the shoulder back.

Alex,

What is the dimensional relationship between your brass and chamber?

How much clearance do you run for the neck, case head area etc,,?

How much do you setback your cases when you fl size each firing?

Are you running custom fl dies to match up to your chamber reamer etc?