.325wsm for long range?

Dave Howe

I have recently made a trade with my Grandfather. My Lee Enfield .303 for his BLR in .325 short mag. Has anyone ever used one before and if so, how far is it possible to make a shot with this cartridge?

between the bullets that are around for that caliber and the seating depth requirements for the levergun, you will likely be using this more as a mid range rifle. It should be a hoot to 600 yards or so though if your rifle is accurate.

I agree with Lefty. There aren't really any sleek VLD style bullets avilable, maybe Hammer? Also, most of the standard 10 twist short barrels on factory rifles will limit you some in the long range department. I run mine at moderate distances but would not shy away from 5-600 yard shots. The external ballistics really drop off after 600.

We have only worked with bolt rifles in the 325wsm. Our 221g Hammer Hunter will just make coal for mag feeding with the bolt guns. They will run about 2800fps and at that vel will carry 1800fps to about 800y depending on altitude.

So depending on what your definition of long range hunting is your rifle is capable of getting out there effectively.

Only one way to find out what your new rifle can do.

Steve

It kicks hard as hell so unless you're hunting, no. Seriously, this is about as much recoil as a normal person can tolerate... once. In a hunting weight rifle it's just bloody abusive.

Apart from that bullet selection that's useful for LR work is limited. It's quite capable of staying supersonic to 1200-1400 depending on bullet and atmospherics. The gist is, yeah it's plenty capable but probably among the least optimal choices.

It performs well out to 600 yards. Still effective beyond that. 200 grain bullets have the best ballistics. You can go 220 and even 250grains(Woodleigh), but not necessary.
There are guys that shoot even lighter bullets out to 800 and 1000. I'd check OGW charts beyond 600 for hunting though. 32-to 35 ft.lbs of recoil energy is noticeable from the bench but not bad if hunting. Use a good all around bullet if you anticipate the possibility of encountering a close shot. Bullets can be frangible at close ranges. Beyond 150 yards you should be okay. Quite a few hunters in northern country have even taken large brown bear with the 325. Great for elk and moose. Personally,I wouldn't shoot at game beyond 300 yards(maybe 400) anyway-that wouldn't be hunting to me. Read Chuck Hawks and also read Illiad & Oddysey by Dellasandro on the internet. They give a lot of good info for the 325wsm. Enjoy- it's a thumper and accurate cartridge.

You've got to be frigging kidding me
Some guys don't like 35 ft. lbs of recoil. Maybe BallisticsGuy is one of them.Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.Personally, It doesn't bother me. I actually like a good blast. It relieves stress.LOL I shot 100 rounds of 30-06 one day and 100 rounds of 325wsm the next day. All from a bench testing POI with different loads at different ranges. I have to admit I started to notice recoil by the end of the second day. I'd wager you would too.

We're talking about a rifle that likely weighs 8 lbs scoped.

What's your definition of abusive?
A Nitro Express is abusive. My post said I don't mind recoil. I do shoot two rifles that have 35 ft. lbs of recoil energy. That's enough for me if I shoot 200 rounds over the course of two days from a bench when testing POI at varying ranges.

Last edited:
I have an X bolt 325 and yes it has a stout recoil but its easily manageable. I have sat down and fired 20 rounds in an hour to hour and a half before. I would like brake but its really no big deal. now to answer the OP.. I am getting 2975 with a 200 TSX. I actually like the round a lot better than I expected to. I think itll go 5-800 no problem.

Last edited:
You've got to be frigging kidding me
Nope. If I was kidding I would have written "just kidding".

I've owned a .325WSM in an 8lbs hunting rifle. For someone of fairly average construction (5'9"-6' 160-190lbs) it's a ton of recoil, especially from a bench. Sighting it in was the least fun I've ever had while pulling a trigger. I never really noticed recoil when hunting before that thing but I sure did when shot a deer with it. You may find your happy place at the receiving end of a good hard swat. I, personally, do not.

Nope. If I was kidding I would have written "just kidding".

I've owned a .325WSM in an 8lbs hunting rifle. For someone of fairly average construction (5'9"-6' 160-190lbs) it's a ton of recoil, especially from a bench. Sighting it in was the least fun I've ever had while pulling a trigger. I never really noticed recoil when hunting before that thing but I sure did when shot a deer with it. You may find your happy place at the receiving end of a good hard swat. I, personally, do not.

i used to shoot an unbraked 375 rum. i still shoot an unbraked 416 rigby... 325 just isnt a big deal.. more trigger time will condition a percson to where its no big deal

Have several blr''s myself. I believe the design of the stock is what makes them uncomfortable. Have shot my bolt rifles ( no brakes) of the same caliber and weight as my blr''s and the blr's do hit you a bit more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.