Trying to decide on caliber

I'd go 300 if you're going to shoot factory ammo in a stock rifle. If you can buy a custom fast twist barrel and reload heavy, high bc bullets, I'd go 7mm.

I like how the gunwerks guys advise people on their podcast. What is the farthest you would shoot an elk? What is the minimum amount of energy and impact velocity you want to deliver? Back into you cartridge decision from there. Don't take on more recoil than necessary. Burn less powder, short more comfortably, practice more.

280 AI and 7 SAUM are a ballistic pair. Only decision you have there is long or short action. I think the 7 SAUM will do a little better with a shorter barrel. For a dedicated bull elk rifle I like starting with 308 cal. 300 wsm is very accurate. Slightly higher recoil but nothing a muzzle brake can't turn into a light tap. Can't really go wrong with your 3 choices. My wife shoots a 280 AI and we've taken a number of elk with 160 grain Accubonds and 175 Berger Elite Hunters. For the 300's I like the 200 grain Accubond and 181 Hammer Hunter. For the 300 short mag you'll probably want to stay in the 180 to 190 grain range. Maybe a 185 Berger Juggy or 200 eld-x for longer range work. I killed a few truckloads of elk with a 180 Partition so don't overthink it. If the shots are 400 yds and closer it gets the job done.

Agreed! My load for one of my .300 WSM is 215 Berger at 2850 FPS. With a 200Y zero at my range altitude of 3300' the ballistics show below is no slouch. "My" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS for deer/1500 FT-LBS for elk, and 1800 FPS at point of impact. As with anything else shot placement is the key.

1650892996014.png

Don't rule out 7STW. I also hunted with a 30-378. both had 28 inch barrels. The 7 stw launching 175's was great elk medicine.

.300 win mag is the easy button. I'll begrudgingly admit the .300 prc is a better case design…won't be switching any time soon :). Everyone makes brass for 300 win mag and it can be easily found, pretty much no matter what's going on.

I've killed elk with my 30:06 AI (200 gr. Nosler partition) and my 8mm Rem Mag. (220 gr. Hornady). Any of the cartridges you listed will be fine for Elk. I would choose the 280 AI loaded with a Nosler 175 Grain Partition bullet.

35 years of public land elk hunting with 17 taken, my preference is 30 caliber. I used a 30-06 and a 300 WM on all without a failure and great results.
300 WM vs 300 WSM I'll take the old school mainly because you can find ammo virtually anywhere in the world (if you plan to international hunt). Also some places in Africa a 30 cal easily meets the countries requirements.
JMO&E
If I hunted where big bears roam, the bigger caliber is my preference.

I live in Wyoming, and have taken 5 big game animals - all within 300-yards:
One 5-pt bull elk with a .30-06 and 165-gr. Nosler Partition bullet (60-yards).
One buck antelope with a 7mm Remington Magnum and 150-gr. Partition (150-yards).
One muley buck with a .30-06 and 165-gr. Partition (75-yards).
One muley doe, 30-06 and 150-gr. Partition (50-yards running).
One muley buck with a .338 RUM and 210-gr. Partition. (205-yards = devastating! - Broadside, blew its heart in half, made mush of the lungs, and exited its shoulder.) Grizzly Territory in Sunlight Basin, North of Cody, WY. - We had elk tags also for that area.

I like my Dad's .338 Winchester Magnum over my 338 RUM: less kick and blast (concussion), less powder, no muzzle brake needed, and adequate out to a quarter-mile (440-yards). - Sold the RUM.

Be ready for the long-shot, but you will probably be closer than you thought.

Last edited: