Need some advise on a caliber for Elk hunt

Yes, as long as you stay within your set-up limitations. My .270 AI with 30" Lilja barrel propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS. "My" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS and a minimum of 1800 FPS of velocity for the bullet to effectively expand for elk size game at the point of impact - that puts me at 800Y. With your set-up, my calculation is ~600Y. Good luck!
I agree max terminal and ethical shot with that bullet is 600 yards. The SST is an accurate bullet. Even if you can hit a 16" plate at 1000 yards within moa, bullet might not perform to your liking. If you want another gun do it. But dance with your date. I choose the bullet that delivers a high ballistic coefficient, recoil that I am comfortable with caliber then the gun and stay around 8- 9 lbs with scope. Get ready Elk hunting is addictive!

I've been invited to go on a elk hunt and need some advise on what gun I should bring or buy a different one. I have a 270 weatherby and hand load my rounds. I load 140gr Hornady SST and getting around 3300fps with them. Is that enough bullet or caliber for Elk ? Or should I get a different gun/Caliber? This is my first time elk hunting and know you may have to shoot at a good distance. I've shot this round to 960yds with good accuracy and comfortable doing it. Thanks for any tips
That will work just fine!!!! I never heard of an elk asking the hunter what caliber did u use to kill me!!!!!!!!!!!

stay away from any hornaday bullets on elk
I don't understand blanket statements like this, is there a reason or personal bad experience with one of their bullets?
I know my dad has killed several elk and moose with the old school 130 and 140 grain interlock in his 270 Win over the years. I've had great success with the 175 ELD-X personally in 7mm. Just wondering what makes you say what you are saying, I'm curious more than anything.

stay away from any hornaday bullets on elk

I don't understand blanket statements like this, is there a reason or personal bad experience with one of their bullets?
I know my dad has killed several elk and moose with the old school 130 and 140 grain interlock in his 270 Win over the years. I've had great success with the 175 ELD-X personally in 7mm. Just wondering what makes you say what you are saying, I'm curious more than anything.

I'm curious as well. Hornady has several bullets that perform very well when used correctly.

Sleds, those Interlocks are crazy accurate bullets. Yeah the BC is bad but they still shoot great and are deadly as well.

You might want to google Terminal Ballistics Research. Look under Knowledge Base for both the 270 WBY and the 7mm RM. He specifically talks about the SST. He recommends annealing it with a candle flame so that it expands easier and also rolls back to prevent over expansion at high velocity.

I'm a big believer in sectional density of around .280 for elk. In a .270 that means a 150 gr. bullet.

I've been invited to go on a elk hunt and need some advise on what gun I should bring or buy a different one. I have a 270 weatherby and hand load my rounds. I load 140gr Hornady SST and getting around 3300fps with them. Is that enough bullet or caliber for Elk ? Or should I get a different gun/Caliber? This is my first time elk hunting and know you may have to shoot at a good distance. I've shot this round to 960yds with good accuracy and comfortable doing it. Thanks for any tips
Move that bullet weight up to 150-160 grain class and select an advanced hunting bullet; ELDX, Accubond, TSX, or Berger Elite Hunter. Pease remember to limit you shot to the distance where the bullet will still have enough kinetic energy to penetrate and expand.

I took an elk last year with a 168 gr Nosler in 7mm mag .

The 270 is probably going to be enough gun but I would beef up the bullet . Just my opinion .

You might consider Barnes 180gr ttsx if you have access to some .

If you are going to use the 140 gr bullet sight your bullet at 3.20" high at 100 yards
And that will put your drop out to 350 yards should be approximately -6"

Everything else short of 350 yards should be point and pull the trigger

The drop at 300 yards is approximately -1.5"

This is with a federal bonded bullet .
So your mileage may vary with other bullets but you can certainly play with these numbers

Just my opinion
Not trying to cause a major read or controversy .

Marc
Barnes TTSX 130gr right?

You might want to google Terminal Ballistics Research. Look under Knowledge Base for both the 270 WBY and the 7mm RM. He specifically talks about the SST. He recommends annealing it with a candle flame so that it expands easier and also rolls back to prevent over expansion at high velocity.

I'm a big believer in sectional density of around .280 for elk. In a .270 that means a 150 gr. bullet.

Been using the 162gr SST's for a while and once I read that front Nathan I started annealing them. They Kill!

Hunting buddy killed a elk yesterday at 125 yards went about 35 yards massive blood trail (didn't need it) bullet was Hornady's interlock. Second time shooting at elk and second one shot kill. Lung shot with a 270 works.

You're .270 WBY will do just fine just place your **** in the boiler room and shoot him until he drops. I have killed elk with my 25/06 and newer 25x284 beyond 600 yards. Stay calm and shoot straight.....

I've shot plenty of elk with a .270 Winchester and 130 grain Winchester factory ammo. Killed every one of them. Longest shot (and it was a long shot in open country) was 315 yards. Work hard to get closer, don't just shoot because you can see them. This shows the open country, the blue circle is where the elk was shot and died. This shot was about 150 yards.
1634225999622.jpeg
1634225999622.jpeg

270 weatherby is a great gun for elk. Have hunted elk for 40 years and have killed elk with 3006, 264 wm., 270 and 270 weatherby. You don't need large caliber to make up for shot placement.