Need some advise on a caliber for Elk hunt

The scope will need to be swapped out I think. It has a 4x14x50 Leupold with a Boone and Crockett reticle. Not sure why I picked that reticle. It's a private hunt in Colorado on a friend's property. That's all I know so far
Nothing wrong with that scope. If it were me, I'd load the 140 or 150 accubond (not the ablr), and go hunt. Know what yardages you reticle works at, and have at it!

Tony is right to an extent in regards to the scope it's a good one, but not one to be using for shooting to 1K.......The B&C reticle just doesn't have the legs for that.

Your rifle and scope are fine,your 140ssts might be lite ,but if your really confident shooting them you should be fine ,with Respect there are much tougher bullets,the partitions are sleepers 150's160's and I'm a Barnes X fan , they've taken many elk and passed through and never recovered from a 300 Bee. Many say the partitions are not accurate that's pure BS, I've shot them out to 1,000 yards 7STW 160's 3225 fps at muzzle 10 shots and 6 are in my fist size in the paper plate ,have a great hunt be Safe Cheers 🍻🦌👍😉🦌

It can be done with the B&C,you get creative.I use to run 200 zero,then dial off the small lower hash.You have to get all values,figure out the math and confirm.My son runs it this way,he likes the qick reticle for most shots.But you have to pay attention your on the right delta,when shooting distance, why I know? My son not paying attention,heh

I really like seeing that people aren't saying you need something like the 338s. A 270 will do the job just fine. As for 900 yard shots, my thoughts are, if I want to shoot long range I go shoot paper. That way if I miss call the wind it's no big deal. If I want to shoot elk, I hunt. Meaning I've never shot an elk over 100 yards, never needed to. If I see them at 1000 yards I make a plan and get close. I usually plan to get in front of them so they come to me. I can be real tough, but that's hunting, not shooting.

I'm not a huge elk hunter, but I've gotten em. My grandfather killed several elk with 270 bullets in them that had healed over. One time I took an elk with a 6.5 SAUM. IMO, I would never take an elk with anything less than 30 cal. My 30-06 with Partitions really did a much better job of putting a 3" hole most the way through, and exit with bones/lungs/etc. I took that 06 to Africa and it worked great from mountain reedbok to blue and black wildebeest. The 6.5 SAUM with the 143 eldx ruined more meat with fragments but didn't really punch all the way through nearly as nice. It's perfect for deer and antelope, but not for elk. I've seen very similar performance out of friends with a couple different 270's and 7mm's. If I were to buy/build a rifle for elk, I think I would go with a 300prc. I have a few 30 cal and the 06 is my favorite, but the PRC takes advantage of modern technology and it's about the best balance that comes with factory ammo options. Just my opinion!

I could load 150gr LR accubond which would give me more energy but they need 1300fps to expand completely. Which puts it at a max range of 800yds. Which I'm not sure if I would try a shot any further than that.
I'd use the heaviest Berger ur gun can stabilize or a regular accubond so you actually have a shoulder breaking bullet

+1 on a bullet with a bit more structural integrity....provided you stay within the velocity window for good expansion. IMO, too many hunters plan/expect the long range shot.....neglecting the possibility that the shot be be just a few yards at an angle requiring a bullet to stand-up to close range impact with a couple of feet of muscle and bone to penetrate ....rather than inches! 😉

And I agree that the 270 is adequate, though not optimum cartridge/caliber for a hunter that may be his/her only opportunity to hunt an elk! I believe in insurance!!!! Same with bullet selection!

If you feel that your chosen bullet is adequate to meet all possible scenarios......go for it! memtb

I could load 150gr LR accubond which would give me more energy but they need 1300fps to expand completely. Which puts it at a max range of 800yds. Which I'm not sure if I would try a shot any further than that.
IMO you're a bit under gunned for extreme ranges like beyond 600 yards on elk. 600 and under you're good to go. That's just based on 40 years of hunting elk.

You will be good to go to reasonable ranges. I have killed elk with my 25-06 shooting 100 barnes bullets. I havent killed one over about 300 yards with it. When I first started hunting it was all I had I killed deer antelope bear and elk with it. I still use 25 cal a good bit but a little faster thru 257 WTBY. I would think with a quality bullet you'd have zero issues to 5-6 hundred yards. I elk hunt now with 340 WTBY about the same trajectory as a 270 but with w 225 gr bullet and I havent killed a elk over 500 yards but positive I could. I just want to ensure whatever I shoot at dies as quickly and humanely as possible. Go with confidence and I hope you get a nice one. Good Luck

I agree with most everything that is said here and appreciate your responses. Ideally the best sinerio wound be under 300 yds or so. I think switching to just a 150 gr hunting bullet using my 270 weatherby will be just fine.

I'm a big fan of the 270 weatherby! It may not be the perfect caliber for elk, but it'll do very well. Like others have said and if you're open to it, I would consider loading a stronger bullet and keep shots under 600yds. I prefer 140gr or 150gr accubonds or something equivalent.

My wife shot her first bull at 400 yards with a 140gr AB starting at 3100 fps out of a 270wsm. Bull was quartering hard towards us and was uphill from where we were. The bullet blew through 6-7" of sternum and took out the heart and a lung. The bull jumped forward 10-15 yards and fell over dead. When I was younger, I shot a few elk with a 270win with 150gr Sierra game kings. They did their job, but shots were close, perfectly broadside, and in the crease. The last 15 years I have favored my 300h&h with 180gr ABs, but would not hesitate to use my 270wby or wife's 270wsm. Hopes this helps and have a great hunt!

Recent Posts