Looking for advise on a 2015 Montana Elk Hunt.

cmorsch

Im looking into doing a elk hunt with a friend on public land in Montana next year.
Is anyone able to point me in a direction of areas to look into going that would allow for the ability to shoot longer distances, as well as shorter ones for my friend. Any help you guys could give would be extremely helpful as I have never been to Montana before. Also, is horseback or atv transportation needed or can you walk in to hunt? Once again thanks for any help and input you guys may have.

I am in the same boat. Currently reading the book, "Elk Hunting Montana, Finding Success on the Best Public Lands" by Jack Ballard. Got it from Amazon. I think most everything we need to know is inside. Well written. Breaks down each area, hunter and elk densities, and accessible land.

First thing you need to do is apply for elk special permits. Deadline is March 15.
Select a difficult to draw unit and start building those points. 380 is a good option as well as any the 'Breaks" units.

If you are not interested in a restricted elk unit there have been left over nonres elk tags (as well as combo tags) for the past few yrs available right up to and during the season.

unit 410 or 700, but its a very tough unit to draw...big bulls, lots of open terrain, bowhunted it years ago when you didn't have to draw unit, we shot some dandy 330-380 bulls, but the "big" ones never came close enough for a good bowshot. I use a recurve so i have limits...

I would forget the hard to draw areas unless you have twenty years to spare. Many areas offer general season brow tine bull hunting, many areas are also open to antlerless elk on a general season license as well. The 380 area is a hard coveted draw area for brow tine bull but open to spike elk with a draw for antlerless elk. Do some research on the montana fish cop website as to areas of higher hunter success. Also what sex of elk is permitted with a general license. Every are is different for no apparent reason and it changes every **** year! Call some regional mfwp offices. Horses or shoe leather express is what I would recommend, because it seems that motorized travel is all but outlawed on forest service land ( in my area at least).
Lastly study only recent elk density numbers, because the elk count is out dated in two years if wolves are present.
Good luck!
If you know some great intel about New Mexico oryx hunting, I'll be your best friend?

The best intel on oryx here in NM is get an on range hunt, pay the extra $100 to get on range, and shoot the first one you see. They can be found off range but the ranchers usually want many $$$ to hunt their land. The plus side is one of my friends got one and it is the best tasting meat I ever had.

I would forget the hard to draw areas unless you have twenty years to spare. Many areas offer general season brow tine bull hunting, many areas are also open to antlerless elk on a general season license as well. The 380 area is a hard coveted draw area for brow tine bull but open to spike elk with a draw for antlerless elk. Do some research on the montana fish cop website as to areas of higher hunter success. Also what sex of elk is permitted with a general license. Every are is different for no apparent reason and it changes every **** year! Call some regional mfwp offices. Horses or shoe leather express is what I would recommend, because it seems that motorized travel is all but outlawed on forest service land ( in my area at least).
Lastly study only recent elk density numbers, because the elk count is out dated in two years if wolves are present.
Good luck!
If you know some great intel about New Mexico oryx hunting, I'll be your best friend?

+1! I hunted the Beartooth BMA in 2013 with very good success; lots of LR opportunities. However, unless you have equine support, you're stuck on foot or mountain bike. We hiked 4-6 miles before even climbing the mountain. I logged over 100 miles on foot by the time I filled my tag. :):D:rolleyes:

The best intel on oryx here in NM is get an on range hunt, pay the extra $100 to get on range, and shoot the first one you see. They can be found off range but the ranchers usually want many $$$ to hunt their land. The plus side is one of my friends got one and it is the best tasting meat I ever had.

Agree on the White Sand missile test range. I tried 4X when I was stationed at Kirtland AFB in ABQ but to no avail.

A friend showed me a video of his hunt in 1996. He shot his about 500 yards or so off a small herd and DRT with his .300 Win Mag. The small herd ran down some sand dunes and out of their sight.

There were 4 in his party and it took them about 10 minutes or so to gather their items before started walking to the the downed oryx. As they were walking towards the oryx, a herd started (not sure if it's the same herd) to congregate around the downed animal and they ended up with another tag filled. To top that, fish and game even helped them haul the harvest. Some people just have all the luck! :cool:

Montana can be tough to hunt we did a hunt in Heron, MT this year no luck on a shooter bull for either of us i did shoot a good muley so 4 tags one got filled. If you go further south wolves become a problem. I have talked to several guides and general people I know out there and the bulls just aren't bugling like they used to during the rut because of the wolves these being the areas you can use the general tag with a rifle during the rut. After that time period you should look into area with resident elk herds that dont do any migration hence our choice of hunting in the heron area with a outfitter. I also found out the resident elk are absolutely way harder to hunt than migrating elk they are way more elusive as in they know the area as good or better than the guide and tend to stay in the timber. I saw elk every day except one but nothing bigger than a spike. I have hunted many states Wyoming, Montana , West Virgina, Colorado, Ohio, and Michigan. I live in MI but my go to place is Wyoming they have less elk but in my opinion they are more concentrated you have the small herds in the big horns in the east then in the west the bidger teton and other wilderness areas and not to many elk if any in the middle. Montana has their elk over a larger area. So I would say to you save your money and go to Wyoming less elk yes but jammed in to smaller areas so higher concentrations better chance in bagging your self that bull.

Lots of different country you can hunt. All solid timber and thick (my favorite but tough) intermittent timber or about dang near wide open. Do research and look at areas where outfitters are based out of, see if they hunt private or public. If they hunt all public you'll at least know decent land access and look at what they shoot on their website

Oh yeah, wolves are everywhere west of the divide and quite a bit east. Know a couple guys in the breaks who saw wolves this year. If you drew a tag let us know what unit, whenever non res. results come out and might have a little insight of your area

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.