2015 Elk

Slopeshunter

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a long time so I thought I'd post up a pic of my elk I got in September.

It took me 11 years to draw this tag. There's only 5 tags in this zone and there's 4 seasons (20 tags total). I wanted to draw the first season as I know that once you get into the second season and beyond alot of the bulls will break their antlers and snap off points fighting. This zone is a dream for the long range shooters, unfortunately for me I found myself getting very skilled at belly crawling to get into 360 yards on this bull where I felt comfortable. This is some beautiful prairie country and I could not have been happier with the hunt and the outcome of the hunt.

Cheers

And nothing to do with elk, but here's a pic from this past weekend. I took my son down around the same area to hunt pheasants.

Happy (stateside) Thanksgiving, Slopeshunter,

That is one beautiful bull. He'll look magnificent on your wall. Well deserved congratulations.

Rut hunting bulls is magical. I hope to have another shot at it. They problem lies in drawing a rut hunt tag. But once you do it, other elk hunts seem to be lacking.

Didn't the old B&C record elk come out of Alberta?

Did you kill that monster with a .303 British? Canucks have an enviable record of doing amazing things with the .303 British. A Yukon hunter has recently killed that new B&C Yukon moose with a .303 British.

Finally, who's the handsome and deservedly proud kid with the pheasants? I have to recognize his hunting skill as well.

Thanks for the comments SansSouci. Hunting the bulls in september sure is something special. The first week of the season the bulls were still all hanging together and not yet interested in the cows yet. By the third week when I got this bull they were into the rut, this guy had himself a group of around 20 cows when we got him.

Yes an old record did come from Alberta, Clarence Brown in 1977: http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/images/records/rifle-elk-typical.jpg

No .303 Brit, just another modern day magnum. That kid with the pheasants is my son Noah. Great shot, doesn't seem to matter if it's rifle, pistol or shotgun. The kids got real good shooting form. Next year we'll draw a cow elk tag for him and likely hunt the same ranch.

Enjoy your turkey!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.