2015 Success

cohunter14

I was lucky enough to punch my tag on a decent 5x5 bull this year during Colorado's first rifle season. Not long range, as the shot was only about 100 yards, but figured I would still post on here.

This was my second hunt with the 230 Berger Hybrid, and I have to say, I am very impressed with the results. Shot was a little low but never exited, dropped all it's energy on the bull. The bull ended up only going about 30 yards. I also dropped an antelope earlier in the year with very similar results - no exit and the buck barely went anywhere.

Here is a pic of the bull:

IMG_1078.jpg

You'll see that the front leg is broken. The elk appeared to be getting around fine, but looks like it had been shot in the leg at some point.

For anyone who is interested in the full story, I did a longer write-up here:
BackTrak Outdoors | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Mentors

Congrats! That is a very nice 5x5. Read your write up too, great hunt and great offhand shot. Interesting that he had been shot in the leg before and no surprise was doing fine. First bull I shot back in 1996 had been shot through the back leg just above the knee and I only figured it out after skinning him out.

Nice job, enjoy those elk steaks and burgers!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts