Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

well for a DIY I think 100 is your best chance if you can draw it unless you want to pay and outfitter or trespass fees then that will open a lot of windows

Thank you. From what I am gathering, an outfitter may be the best route for a non-resident. If hiring one is not in the cards this year, I may put in for a PP and try and draw a good tag and hire an outfitter next year.

Thanks for the advice.

I think one other thing to consider is if you prefer open long range glassing country or timber style hunting. This past season after finding next to nothing for bucks in the popular WY mule deer unit we were in I called the game manager for the area and asked about the unit next door since we could hunt it also. She said there were a few deer there but it is more of a desert type terrain and couldnt even guess as to tell me where to start. I told her lady I'm from Phoenix and I'm used to looking for deer in the desert. The next day we had a 170 class on the ground! My point is I love to glass and almost all of my hunting is done this way. Take away my glass and I'm lost. I respect those of you who successfully hunt the timber and I'm not satin I won't but prefer not to. I saw a pretty nice bull elk out there in what WY locals call desert. I'd probably try that style if it were me!

A buddy shot a big bull (at least 350) in unit 7, with wagon wheel outfitters IIRC. I have a buddy that I played football in college w/ who shed hunts that ground I believe and they both told me really big bulls. Also, really expensive.

An issue not yet discussed is that your not going to have a chance to hunt in most of these units, unless you have a lot of preference points. I don't have my Eastmans but for some of the better units I am thinking 7 or more points to be competative, for a draw.
I think its actually cheaper to move there!!!

An issue not yet discussed is that your not going to have a chance to hunt in most of these units, unless you have a lot of preference points. I don't have my Eastmans but for some of the better units I am thinking 7 or more points to be competative, for a draw.
I think its actually cheaper to move there!!!

Good news for me! I have max points. :)

Even then, there are some units that have low single digit draw odds. :(

Great
If you don't subscrribe to Eastmans find someone who does and get a copy of their current issue. It has a great chart on every Wyoming Unit, the good and the bad, preference points very much like you have gotten here.

Good luck on the draw my application went in already !!!!!!!

I also have dreams of big bulls, but at 66 years of age, my time is limited. I lacked the dollars when I was a youg man with a family. Now I can go on at least one hunt every few years for a trophy bull, but now have to wait for tag draws. I will draw in Nevada in a couple of years and also Arizona. Both areas are 300 + bull units. I will hire a guide on both of these hunts.

Monster bulls hit the ground every year in Area 7. Some may say it's over-rated or over-hunted. I disagree. If you want a 350+, I would think very hard about applying for 7 and hiring an outfitter if you do. One reason is that there is a lot of private at the base so access may be tough. Another reason is that they issue out so many tags in 7 that once you get to the public, it will most likely be crowded. If you want, I can point you in the direction of a less 'popular' and less expensive outfitter compared to operations like the Wagonhound.

So I am in a quandry as to what to do about WY elk. I am dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better. I've harvested a couple of smaller bulls and am not going to harvest anything less than what I really want. Looking for an October 1st rifle hunt where I can see multiple bulls a day, hear a few bugles and have a few opportunities at some mature bulls.

I realize hunting in the wilderness requires a guide and I am not sure I can afford one this year so I may not be able to go that route. I am NOT afraid to backpack in somewhere and am not afraid of rugged terrain.

The most important thing is to be into good bulls regardless of what I have to do to get to them/get them out. Grizzlies and wolves dont concern me unless they have taken their toll on the elk population and mature bulls. My absolute max range is 1000 yards and prefer areas that I can glass and move into position or shoot from my glassing vantage.

I also realize I can probably find 350 bulls in nearly any unit but I am looking for an area that would produce a good number of good bulls to choose from (not looking for any given 'spots' or honey holes).

I do have max points and dont HAVE to draw this year. I would rather continue to apply for tough to draw units and eventually get what I want rather than burn my points on a mediocre hunt this year just for the sake of going elk hunting this year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

M
You want a the best chance at a 350+ bull you are going to have to draw the desert areas. 30, 31, 32, 100. You don't need a guide and they are about 100% success, no grizzlies, and no packing, road or ATV hunt. They are also the hardest to draw.

The rest of the State is a crapshoot on Trophies. If you can get on private land and want to use a guide. check it out but outfitted hunts are going to be time limited and you probably take the first mature bull you see.

The easiest to get into are the high density grizzly hunts around the Parks but almost all Wilderness so you need a guide or a Wyoming friend, horses, plenty of bear planning, and a desire for a lot of added excitement.

There are a lot of non wilderness areas along the Wyoming Range running from Kemmerer to the Hoback that you can get a good bull if you pack in 4-5 miles away from the ATV crowd, have private access, or know a local with a honeyhole.

There are a lot of private opportunities that are easy to draw in Eastern Wyoming and the Snowy Range and Sierra Madres have the most elk. The limited areas of the Snowies or plenty of time in the Wilderness areas of the Sierras will likely get you a mature bull but 350 is luck.

The Wind Rivers offer a lower density grizzly experience with breathtaking country but require a guide or friend to go in there for those not blessed with the automatic competency that comes with living in Wyoming a year. There are nice bulls there but it is a hard hunt that depends greatly on the weather. It can be awesome and you are into elk with a rifle in peak rut or it is the type of country that is very difficult to hunt if they ain't at least talking during the day because of heat. Those are areas 96, 97, and 98. You will need horses or llamas.

If its DIY I would advise a lot of research and taking the entire fall off so you can get a crossbow and hunt and scout until rifle opens and then have time to get back there and hunt if the snow flies in late October. At the very least that way you can shoot a a young cow on the extended anterless if you don't find your bull and have the finest meat the world has to offer with weather conditions to ensure it.

Recent Posts