caliber

I shot mine with .308 165gr sst it was a legal spike ... I would go 25-06 I shoot white tail with 85 gr nozler balistic rip farthest shoot was 135 yds 148 lb doe. She went 20 yds if that looked like 5 gallon bucket attached to air hose ... I've read a lot on here about 25-06 that's why I got mine & retired the .308 I also load it for a rabbit load 3/4 of the Cotten tail is still good 20-75yds so far

My 10 year old granddaughter will be going on her first cow elk hunt this year she has done well with a 22 and only weighs 51 pounds don't want to beat her up with a lot of recoil but I want to be fare to the elk to make a good clean kill thanks for any input

6.5 creedmoor.

Light recoil.

Hornady sst and gmx ammunition is exceptional.

My two daughters have both taken elk in AZ.

My older daughter took hers when she was 11 and weighed in at about 55#. She used a .270Win with a muzzle brake shooting 150 Barnes. Her elk went a total of 4 yards.

My younger daughter took her bull last year at 12 years old weighing in at 60#. Her shot was 160 yards with my .300RUM with a brake shooting 175 SMKs. Her elk went a total of 0 feet. Flopped over without a single kick or twitch. Recoil was not an issue according to her, she doesn't even remember it.

Just remember, when shooting at game, I can never recall any recoil. My daughter was the same. We practiced for months with her shooting my .223, .250 Ackley, .25-06 Ackley, and working up to the .270Win with no issues. I had told her she shot my .300RUM prior to her hunt, as I did not want her to be nervous shooting it. But I did not want her practicing with it and become recoil shy. Worked like a charm. Relaxed for the shot because she thought she had shot it before with no issues, and doesn't remeber the recoil, so she won't be nervous next time she draws an elk tag in AZ.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.