Trued actions vs fancy actions

To me "blueprinting" means that you adjust it to the exact same dimensions given in the blueprint. A dimension of 1.385 +/- .005 inch is machined to be 1.385 inch exactly. Not sure how you could adjust a dimension under 1.385 since you couldn't put metal back on. Mostly truing should be done if the action needs it. Front of receiver square, recoil lug of uniform thickness, locking lugs lapped and threads recut and cleaned up.

I believe that Remington has a jig setup for welding on the bolt handle. Supposedly this was set up wrong way back when and never corrected. At least that's what someone elsewhere has said. With a good CNC setup and an operator watching for worn tooling, etc. no reason why mass produced actions can't be pretty dang good.
Agreed. Just pointing out 6hat it often means different things to different people and must be defined.

Agreed. Just pointing out 6hat it often means different things to different people and must be defined.

Apparently, it's pretty easy for many to confuse blueprinting with truing, i.e. squaring the receiver face with the centerline of the bore is not blueprinting. I think that it would be very expensive and not worth the $$ to "print" an action.

Apparently, it's pretty easy for many to confuse blueprinting with truing, i.e. squaring the receiver face with the centerline of the bore is not blueprinting. I think that it would be very expensive and not worth the $$ to "print" an action.
Interesting. In my experience people use the terms interchangeably and mean the same thing regardless of which one they're saying. I don't think anyone actually cares about the original R700 blueprint, no one I've ever met anyways, they just want their action to be more true regardless of how much or how little material has to be removed to make it so. I have seen at least one smith talk about a blueprinted R700 as one that has had the tenon area enlarged, which certainly wouldn't meet your definition of getting it to the original dimensions on the blueprint.

Blueprinting is the term used by many for accurate machining of any part that Is less than true. The term blueprinting as many think is impossible because first they would have to have the factory design drawing and the factory tolerance limit Plus or minus. So in effect there is no such dimension of .000 dimensions only a desirable dimension plus or minus the maximum tolerance set by the designer.

Every part of an action has these tolerances and as long as they are within these tolerances they are factory specification, even though they are not exactly the same Truing Or Blueprinting is a process to minimize the tolerances between these parts so they are considered the minimum required tolerances for fit and function.

So if someone could tell me how they could make a factory or custom action to the exact design requirements with minimum tolerances without replacing some of the parts I would like to hear how.

Call it what you want, but it is an effort to minimize all clearances and have everything on the same "Exact" centerline. I call It Gunsmithing Craftsmanship.

J E CUSTOM

Blueprinting is the term used by many for accurate machining of any part that Is less than true. The term blueprinting as many think is impossible because first they would have to have the factory design drawing and the factory tolerance limit Plus or minus. So in effect there is no such dimension of .000 dimensions only a desirable dimension plus or minus the maximum tolerance set by the designer.

Every part of an action has these tolerances and as long as they are within these tolerances they are factory specification, even though they are not exactly the same Truing Or Blueprinting is a process to minimize the tolerances between these parts so they are considered the minimum required tolerances for fit and function.

So if someone could tell me how they could make a factory or custom action to the exact design requirements with minimum tolerances without replacing some of the parts I would like to hear how.

Call it what you want, but it is an effort to minimize all clearances and have everything on the same "Exact" centerline. I call It Gunsmithing Craftsmanship.

J E CUSTOM

Years and years ago someone explained to me the process of blueprinting an engine in a car as machining all parts to the dimensions given in the "blueprints" for the various parts. That made sense to me. There is somewhere a drawing/blueprint of a Remington 700 action that shows dimensions and tolerances. Such a drawing is called a blueprint; most likely because of its blue color. I tend to be somewhat pedantic about things, so if you don't have the blueprint, how can you possibly print an action? It seems to me that truing is a better descriptor of what most folks do if they get an action that could use a little work.

Blueprinting implies a standardized spec, if I take and "blueprint or fully true a Rem to my specs totally it will measure the same as any other I did as I have standardized gauges and specs I do it to, if I square it I hit ONLY the most critical surfaces so the barrel mates up on the center line of the action which is cheaper obviously but each one will be at it's own specs and I have not standardized it. Blueprinting only implies that there is a spec sheet the last guy takes them to, you have to clarify what that means.

From dictionary.com

the procedure of improving the performance of an engine by dismantling and then rebuilding the reciprocating parts so that they meet exact tolerances.

also

community.cartalk.com/t/what-does-blueprinting...
It means machining all the engine parts to the blueprint dimensions. But it is still a vague term because there will always be some error so unless the "blueprinting is defined by the allowable tolerances, then the term is useless. If you use the blueprint tolerances, then you are simply returning the engine to brand new factory condition.

What's wrong with clarifying what you mean when you use certain terminology?
Because the point of the OPs post is to get opinions on what is his best bang for the buck. I don't think he's concerned too much about a argument of what the definition of "blueprint" is. It has a definition for sure but it's used loosely when describing action work. Here is another loose definition from NRA-SSUSA.

"Blueprinting (also called trueing) can also be a cost-effective way to begin competing at precision long-range matches with a rifle you probably already have in your gun safe."

"For maximum accuracy, a barreled action should have a receiver with a bolt hole that is dead straight and centered in the receiver body. The axis of this hole becomes the reference axis with which the chamber, bore and barrel threads are perfectly aligned and to which the barrel shoulder, receiver face, locking lug seats, bolt lugs and breechface should be exactly perpendicular."

and the entire article link.

I think the OP being in NZ has limited options and having his action trued and squared is his best option. If it's Remmy he should also have the PE checked.

We use the term blueprinting in gunsmithing, but you cant compare it to how its used in racing. In drag racing we had rules. For example, an engine has a certain spec for cam lobe lift, duration, overlap, ext. You could work to the extremes within the specs. Thats a blueprinted engine. In shooting we use it as a way to describe work we have done to improve accuracy. I describe what I do to custom actions as blue printing or tuning. I know the manufacturer, so I know that I am the only one doing what I do. So its just a way of saying that you are tuning or fixing things that need it without saying exactly what your doing. Theres a learning curve to this and it takes some investment to learn what improves accuracy and you dont want to give it away by saying exactly what your doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.