Trued vs off the shelf Rem 700 Action

Base Tier 2 blueprinting is $175.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cost of a new 700 action is around $400 with a trigger, arguably a crappy one. With the cost of trying would you would be around $600. If the custom can be found for $700 and need a trigger still. So that would be in the $850 range or so. I guess it comes down to $250 or so and if that fits your budget. For me a trued 700 will work fine. I will never sell a gun I have. So the resale is a mute point for me. I would like a customer action though just to say I have one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cost of a new 700 action is around $400 with a trigger, arguably a crappy one. With the cost of trying would you would be around $600. If the custom can be found for $700 and need a trigger still. So that would be in the $850 range or so. I guess it comes down to $250 or so and if that fits your budget. For me a trued 700 will work fine. I will never sell a gun I have. So the resale is a mute point for me. I would like a customer action though just to say I have one.

You said "Every option is $675 plus the cost of your M700 action", so I assumed you meant that LRI charges $675 PLUS you still would need to purchase a 700 action.

I've tried several M700 actions and I have found that older actions needed more work than the newer ones. Some of the older bolt lugs would sometimes take more than 45 minutes to lap into the reciever, where as I could lap a new action in less than 15 minutes. Also the reciever faces need very little the be machined off, as on the older actions much more. Quality control has definately improved.
Thanks for that data point.
Mark

I say put it together and shoot it!!! It won't be hard to take your barrel off and get the action trued if your not happy.
One of the most accurate guns I have is a Remington Long Range Hunter I swaped out the barrel for a Shilen barrel, Jewel trigger, and Man does that 300 win shoot. With some N-570 and a Berger 215 it is .3 moa when I do my part.. It may have been just luck but, I also have bought my boys 3 Remington's and straight out of the box they were 3/4 moa. With some bedding and a good trigger they always have done great for me. They all shoot .5 moa with some bedding and trigger work. Reloading makes a big difference too.
What ever you decide Have fun and enjoy the ride.. You can't go wrong either way...
Happy Shooting.

A couple of years ago, a bunch of us bought Remington actions and took them to our gunsmith friend and we tried them all over the course of a weekend. What we found when the Smith was indicating all of the surfaces was that the new stainless actions maintained much better tolerances for straightness, and trueness than the carbon steel equivalents. As time went on, and we built other rifles with friends, we actually built a couple on stainless actions, with criterion remage barrels and upgraded triggers and all of them shot very well. So, now if we are building a hunting rifle and are satisfied with 3/4moa, or maybe a little better, we get new stainless actions and forego the truing the action.

Remington hasn't used riveted extractors in a long time. They just snap in place now. The 700 extractor is actually quite strong. You practically have to rip the nose of the bolt off to break one. As a gunsmith in 30 yrs I've replaced 2 that were broke. I've replaced many with Sako extractors for customers but it's not needed.
Shep
Remington Magnum actions are riveted still the rest are pop in. I used to replace a few a month new right out of the box, on the RR serial # with mag bolt face actions it's a common job, I used to always keep them on order at Midway.

You said "Every option is $675 plus the cost of your M700 action", so I assumed you meant that LRI charges $675 PLUS you still would need to purchase a 700 action.
No, I meant $675 for action and truing.

Mute is moot, woot!! A good tuner like Neil Jones can make a factory trigger work pretty nice.

I have no issues with the factory remington trigger down to 1.75 pounds but if you want lighter better go custom.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.