Trued actions vs fancy actions

From dictionary.com

the procedure of improving the performance of an engine by dismantling and then rebuilding the reciprocating parts so that they meet exact tolerances.

also

community.cartalk.com/t/what-does-blueprinting...
It means machining all the engine parts to the blueprint dimensions. But it is still a vague term because there will always be some error so unless the "blueprinting is defined by the allowable tolerances, then the term is useless. If you use the blueprint tolerances, then you are simply returning the engine to brand new factory condition.
From dictionary.com

the procedure of improving the performance of an engine by dismantling and then rebuilding the reciprocating parts so that they meet exact tolerances.

also

It means machining all the engine parts to the blueprint dimensions. But it is still a vague term because there will always be some error so unless the "blueprinting is defined by the allowable tolerances, then the term is useless. If you use the blueprint tolerances, then you are simply returning the engine to brand new factory condition.

[/QUOTE]
I have measured many new gm engines and very seldom find one in spec.while in training I told the instructor I just want to know what the norm is he asked me what do you mean I told him I bet this engine on the is out of spec and the first cylinder was but that's normal and it works. Good gun smiths don't make them they just make them better.call it whatever I call it commercially acceptable

We often use terms familiar to us without actually knowing what they mean and therefore misuse them. As far as "technically" blueprinting, as soon as you remove several thousandths from any surface, it would be technically "out of spec". Its a term most of us use loosely and we all have. A basic understanding that it means truing and accurizing. It is sufficient for most discussions and is most important to define between a customer and his "smith".

Interesting. In my experience people use the terms interchangeably and mean the same thing regardless of which one they're saying. I don't think anyone actually cares about the original R700 blueprint, no one I've ever met anyways, they just want their action to be more true regardless of how much or how little material has to be removed to make it so. I have seen at least one smith talk about a blueprinted R700 as one that has had the tenon area enlarged, which certainly wouldn't meet your definition of getting it to the original dimensions on the blueprint.

I would say that that smith didn't understand the meaning of the term that he was using. Be it car engines, firearms or garden trowels, blueprinting refers specifically to machining an object to the dimensions of its original or working blueprint. Other actions to correct defects or tighten tolerances are better described as truing or tuning. People use there and their and your and you're interchangeably too, but we know that those don't mean the same. My last project with a smith was to true as or if needed. Going with a custom action, one is less likely to have to need to do much of anything. I suppose that it depends upon how good that your starting base is. I've read in a few places that the current crop of Rem 700 actions were/are pretty dang good right out of the box. I have 3 of the RR serial # actions and I don't think there was an issue with any of them; at least I wasn't told that there was.
Funny that with the kind of CNC machining available that Remington never could or would make a bolt where the locking lugs had proper full contact or that it was mostly dumb luck if they did.

Years and years ago someone explained to me the process of blueprinting an engine in a car as machining all parts to the dimensions given in the "blueprints" for the various parts. That made sense to me. There is somewhere a drawing/blueprint of a Remington 700 action that shows dimensions and tolerances. Such a drawing is called a blueprint; most likely because of its blue color. I tend to be somewhat pedantic about things, so if you don't have the blueprint, how can you possibly print an action? It seems to me that truing is a better descriptor of what most folks do if they get an action that could use a little work.

I was also a engine builder when I was younger and many times you could not machine parts to make them match, so if they were reciprocating parts we had to weigh them to find enough to all match, Like pistons, rods, pushrods ETC and it was amazing how much gain in horsepower there was. There were many tricks like Line boring that that could be machined and even though it was no longer what the factory engine was designed to be, it was also very important to the life of the engine.

Many people don't believe in truing/blueprinting but just as many can see the benefit in the operation and the ability to have/find many different accurate loads with ease.

The benefits are what counts,not what you call the process.:cool:

J E CUSTOM

I've never seen blueprinting done to a factory spec, that's called REMAN!!

That's because there is rarely, if ever, a reason to. When you face off the front of the action to be square to the bore axis you don't particularly care if the final distance from the front of the action to the end of the tang is exactly the same as the distance given on the blueprint. As long as it's square that's all that matters. All I mentioned was that many here seem to throw the word blueprinting around rather loosely without apparently knowing what it really means. The blueprint is the drawing that the CNC operator uses to set up the CNC machine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.