TRIGGERS

Single stage for sure. I have in my rifles for huntin,bench rest,and long range. Timney,Jewell,Trigger Tech,Rifle Basix,Shilen all work great and all are set lower than 2 lbs

I'm the same. It's only been a few years ago that I had shot a guys benchrest gun.
I seen him at a shooting range and asked what can I do to better my shooting. He asks what kind of triggers I was using. Factory set at 3lbs. He asks me to shoot his gun, trigger set at 5oz. I've changed every trigger since, set at 12oz to 1.5lbs.
And he showed me setups, my groups closed up dramatically. I still thank him.
Currently I'm using a TT Diamond. Love it!

It's a pretty simple operation for me, since learning to shoot in childhood I was taught to never put my finger on the trigger or even inside the trigger guard until I was ready to shoot. If someone triggers a shot early it's my opinion that they should go back to the basics and learn to practice safety and self discipline. While I don't, I'm sure I could hunt safely and effectively with a trigger that pulls in ounces rather than pounds.
There's a point that I want a bit of extra safety. I'd rather have my trigger pull a little high for hunting. Too many bumps on the trail.

The 98 action has a flip over safety the locks the firing pin in place until it's flip over by hand. No way it can go off without physically moving the safety it by hand. It can't be nocked off. Nothing like Rem safety on the side of the action next to the stock that can be rub to off by moving the stock when walking. The ruger is harder, but can be nocked off too. Maybe somebody has a picture of one. Mind are lock away in another area.

The 98 action has a flip over safety the locks the firing pin in place until it's flip over by hand. No way it can go off without physically moving the safety it by hand. It can't be nocked off. Nothing like Rem safety on the side of the action next to the stock that can be rub to off by moving the stock when walking. The ruger is harder, but can be nocked off too. Maybe somebody has a picture of one. Mind are lock away in another area.
Thanks. Always wondered on this one.

It's a pretty simple operation for me, since learning to shoot in childhood I was taught to never put my finger on the trigger or even inside the trigger guard until I was ready to shoot. If someone triggers a shot early it's my opinion that they should go back to the basics and learn to practice safety and self discipline. While I don't, I'm sure I could hunt safely and effectively with a trigger that pulls in ounces rather than pounds.
We all think that we are safe, but how safe are we? If you think that having a rifle that has a trigger pull in ounces is safe out in the woods then I have to disagree with you. Too much can go wrong, a simple push or shove, a branch in the wrong place, a heavier glove than you are used to and the list goes on. I myself love a light trigger. My Winchester Model 70's have 2 1/2 pound triggers which is plenty light for any kind of shooting, target or otherwise. The Tikka's are in the 3 1/2 pound range and it's extremely easy to lightly press the trigger when ready to shoot without affecting the sight picture. It is my humble opinion as a NRA certified Instructor as well as a Hunter Safety Instructor that a trigger set in ounces is unsafe for any type of hunting. The exception would be a rifle with a set trigger installed, and those are few and far in between these days. :confused:

We all think that we are safe, but how safe are we? If you think that having a rifle that has a trigger pull in ounces is safe out in the woods then I have to disagree with you. Too much can go wrong, a simple push or shove, a branch in the wrong place, a heavier glove than you are used to and the list goes on. I myself love a light trigger. My Winchester Model 70's have 2 1/2 pound triggers which is plenty light for any kind of shooting, target or otherwise. The Tikka's are in the 3 1/2 pound range and it's extremely easy to lightly press the trigger when ready to shoot without affecting the sight picture. It is my humble opinion as a NRA certified Instructor as well as a Hunter Safety Instructor that a trigger set in ounces is unsafe for any type of hunting. The exception would be a rifle with a set trigger installed, and those are few and far in between these days. :confused:
I tend to agree. Every hunting rifle I have ever owned has had a 4+ poung trigger. Now target shooting, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Well I carry them with very light triggers. Alway have. Depending on what type of saftey is on the rifle. Most of the time I don't carry a round in the chamber unless it's a older style 98 action. Go luck in bumping that saftey off. It has to be physically moved by your hand. I didnt believe It could be turned the 180deg to unlock it. There is some set ups to change the configuration on that Mauser locking devises that allows to setup to comform to the scope. It sits tight to the scople. Heavy gloves would almost be inpossible to get enough pressure to move it off of safe. All other rifles don't carry a round in the chamber!! AR-15 would be another rifle that would be very hard to move the selector switch from safe to fire or auto fire.
I would be dam to carry my AR-15 without a round in it's chamber, while in Vietnam in 1969. The other is you'll find that very light wool glove will take care of your fingers. They are light enough or thin enough to easy go inside the trigger well. People need to learn how to put their finger in or place then inside the trigger well.

Recent Posts