Timney triggers

Iron Worker

Whats wrong with Timney triggers? I have one on my Mod 70. I haven't had any problems with it. My Gunsmith that put a jewell on my varmint rig said they're a piece of junk. But why?

Timney triggers work, but they don't have the quality parts like a rifle basix, Shielen, etc. The quality of the sears, etc. allow a good trigger set up that won't wear and change. Especially important the lighter you set your trigger.

My timmney got very very light with time (about 200-300 rds) I became concerned it would fire upon release of the safety. It took me about 15 minutes to take the action out of the stock and find the right size allen wrench and then which screw adjusted weight. It has been fine for about another 200 rds. Maybe I should check it before it is time to go deer hunting.

Re: booooo!

Seven and Oh, Next victim please. I wonder if Utah State will even bother to dress out.

Just got to keep Brodie Coyle healthy so he can keep pulling the timmney trigger.

My wife went to Auburn. Auburn people are all right they just don't know how to play good football.

I am new at the rifle building game. I have a 7MM Rem Mag barreled to a M98 action. I added a Timney trigger to it several years ago. It has operated pretty well. The rifle will shoot a 3 shot group under 1/2" at 100 yds. I used the 140 gr Barnes X Boat Tail bullets. I did have some trouble with the lock nuts backing off and the set screw working forward. This gradually increased the trigger pull tension and hte groups opened way up. I found that it was my own fault. I was in testing mode and failed to put any "Thread Lock" on the lock nuts and set screws once I had the desired tension, creap and backlash set.

I am building another rifle (6MM x 284 Winchester) on the M98 action. I am in the trigger selection process now. I am open to any suggestion that you guys have? What would you recommend. The only names I am familiar with are Boyd, Timney, Jewell and Kanjar (Unsure of the Kanjar Spelling). I only have personal data on the Timney. I would prefer a trigger with a wider shoe.

Good shooting

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Kev and welcome,
Kepplinger make excellent standard, single-set and double-set triggers for your 98 Mauser.
They are all available from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7668&title=M-98+MATCH+TRIGGER

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[/ QUOTE ]

I installed one of the single sets on the Mauser 98 .35 Whelen that I built and IT ROCKS!!! If price is of no concern, I can HIGHLY recommend one!!! If you'd like to go cheaper, try one of these Huber Concepts triggers. They are supposed to go down to 27ozs.

I am now building a 6mm-06 Ackley on another M-98, and am having a hard decision between which of the two above that I am ultimately going to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.