Tree Squirrel Rifles

I forgot to add in the rifle from my youth. My dad bought this Savage Model 29B in 1949. I started shooting it around 5 years old. Shot many squirrels, but we mainly used this on the shoot "Rats" along the Lackawanna River and in the Rail Road Yard in Moosic PA. Between the both of us we shot thousands of rats. At the time my father was the Yard Master for CNJ RR and he would take me to work with him. The Yard had a lot of rats due to the grain spilling out of RR cars and the River at that time was polluted and loaded with rats. About an hour before dark the rats would start coming out. Sure made me a sharpshooter trying to hit a rat at 75-100 yards with iron sights! I remember every couple of weeks my father would buy us a brick of Federal 22 LR Hollow Points in a bright red box. They were Less than $5 a brick back then (penny a shot).
I use a cz 455 lux 28 inch barrel very accurate

I forgot to add in the rifle from my youth. My dad bought this Savage Model 29B in 1949. I started shooting it around 5 years old. Shot many squirrels, but we mainly used this on the shoot "Rats" along the Lackawanna River and in the Rail Road Yard in Moosic PA. Between the both of us we shot thousands of rats. At the time my father was the Yard Master for CNJ RR and he would take me to work with him. The Yard had a lot of rats due to the grain spilling out of RR cars and the River at that time was polluted and loaded with rats. About an hour before dark the rats would start coming out. Sure made me a sharpshooter trying to hit a rat at 75-100 yards with iron sights! I remember every couple of weeks my father would buy us a brick of Federal 22 LR Hollow Points in a bright red box. They were Less than $5 a brick back then (penny a shot).
I have that same rifle. When I was 12 I worked all summer doing odd jobs to buy that rifle. My grand kids shoot now.

I love hearing of members' starts & their first rifles. My first was a Sears .22 semi-auto ordered through the mail from the big Sears catalog! ($29.95 & I was 14) Still have it & it still shoots GREAT! I owned it a few years before I scoped it. It's had 1000's of rounds of shorts, longs & long rifles through it. Would love to sell it but just can't bring myself to do it! (I believe that Winchester made it for Sears) I believe nearly every shooter has a .22 stuck back somewhere. (Maybe several!)
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

My favorite is my Winchester model 62A pump .22 take down. Will handle CB loads, 22Short, 22LR and feeds perfect with anything you throw in there.

Old school tiny little front bead sight (not the big blocky ones made nowdays) . Super accurate and fun to shoot. Love this rifle and my squirrel gun growing up. View attachment 323567View attachment 323568
Got dads 62a when he passed. The few guns dads owned were treated like tools. The front sight was busted off and the rear sight ramp was long gone. Most of the blueing is gone and the stock has decades of battle scars. I fixed the sights and cleaned it but other then that it will stay just how dad had it. OH WHAT A SMOOTH ACTION!

I have quite a few squirrel rifles but these are a couple of my favorites. Top is a Rem8ngton 581 with a shortened barrel on a revamped Anschutz stock. Bottom is a Savage/Anschutz 54 barreled action on a walnut stock and custom bottom metal I built.
20211021_172810.jpg
20200123_123033.jpg

Merry Christmas from Idaho. I grew up shooting my dads old Savage 22 NRA rifle with rear peep sight. I thought I was getting pretty good till my dad put out the flame of a candle and then lighted a match with it. I was appropriately told without words that I had lots of work to do yet. It was 'aim small, miss small' before it was popular. Thanks Dad for the lesson learned young.

Ahhh - the good old days. I used a Benjamin Pump pellet gun. :)

Ahhh - the good old days. I used a Benjamin Pump pellet gun. :)
Several of my friends had pellet and BB. I was lucky, dad let me use the Savage pump. I knew two brothers had the Benjamin 22 pellet. You had to cock the forearm to pump it. was only supposed to pump maybe two three times-we would pump them 20-30 times. Then two other brothers had the Crossman 760 BB & 177 Pellet. Same with them-we would pump until we couldn't pump anymore. Sure shot those pellets fast!

Back in the late 60's I bought a Remington 580 single shot. Fancy, no, but the old girl still shoots as straight as an arrow. Squirrels and rabbits haven't a chance. I did put a scope on it, but like the rifle it's an old Weaver C4, nothing fancy their either. Don't always need top dollar items to "get 'er done". Back then I thought a church mouse was rich.