New squirrel rifle

I have a 50 year old Rem 581 that I bought new, and similarly, it has killed untold numbers of small game and varmints. I good friend of mine from childhood always used a 512 with iron sights, and he made some incredible shots for not using a scope. I have an old Rem 513T that can still shoot better groups than many more modern rifles, and it too has taken much small game and varmints along with many bullseye target matches.
Those 513T's are worth their weight in Diamond ♦️ Winchester 52's have nothing on them! I've never seen. One with a scope, just target irons

Those 513T's are worth their weight in Diamond ♦️ Winchester 52's have nothing on them! I've never seen. One with a scope, just target irons

Unless you have the later grooved model (after 1954 I think), usually, one will have to do a custom drill-n-tap to mount "modern" scopes. Although, I once owned one of the last years production that I bought used, and the club claimed it came from the factory with receiver mount holes in place. I could never determine if so, but the screw holes/threads were blued and appeared factory. It may have been one of a special order for that club, as it did not appear to have been re-blued.

Sadly, I sold that rifle, and I have kicked myself ever since.

Unless you have the later grooved model (after 1954 I think), usually, one will have to do a custom drill-n-tap to mount "modern" scopes. Although, I once owned one of the last years production that I bought used, and the club claimed it came from the factory with receiver mount holes in place. I could never determine if so, but the screw holes/threads were blued and appeared factory. It may have been one of a special order for that club, as it did not appear to have been re-blued.

On the 512's:: after many many rounds, they get a feeding issue from the tube. A few years ago I bought another 512 and it has the same feeding issues. The shell has to get kind of pulled/ pried out with needle nose. Not sure where to get parts being Numrich isn't around. I've never really figured out the problem

Just found this

Attachments

• IMG_4120.png
    IMG_4120.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 25