Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

What is the toughest long range rifle scope on the market? The one that can get the crap kicked out of it and never lose zero? The one that you would trust the hunt of a lifetime to? I know nothing is perfect, but if your life depended on this scope holding zero, what would it be?
You never mentioned what your point of pain is for money!

What is the toughest long range rifle scope on the market? The one that can get the crap kicked out of it and never lose zero? The one that you would trust the hunt of a lifetime to? I know nothing is perfect, but if your life depended on this scope holding zero, what would it be?
Look at the Valdada IOR

Back in the early 70's I only had cheap scopes and they all failed and gave me scope bite marks all around my right eye.I tried many different brands and all failed at some point.Then I bought a scope I could not afford at the time on lay-a-way.1 scope for all my rifles.I dropped it out of a 33 feet tall tree stand and it still held zero then a friend dropped it in a canal 6 feet deep which I had to leave overnight and went back the next day and dove and found it in mud!That scope still holds zero.I fell off a mountain side due to bank undercut by wind and rain and snow and fell rolling down a 130 ft slooping side of a mountain and landed in a creek with the rifle still on my back and I was sure the scope would not be any good anymore but I had no choice than to use it when a 6x5 bull elk walked out 90 yards away.I shot and killed that bull.
We dragged the elk to a large tree where we hoisted it up.I leaned my rifle and scope against the truck but forgot and my brother back the truck and ran over my rifle/scope!
The wooden stock cracked but I had my elk.I knew the scope was ruined but after I put a new stock on the rifle the scope STILL held zero and I still have that LEUPOLD scope today and it still holds zero.It has had a few more times any decent scope would have failed but that LEUPOLD will never leave my safe.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Is have had S&B PMII x 2, Night Force and Vortex AMG x 2.

I can not fully speak for the AMG yet although my buddy did have a failure during our Moose hunt... water penetrated the seal on his objective. I have had no issues in 3 years of hunting.

I can saw I put my S&Bs through hell w no failures.

838FD7F9-B70C-4F96-9E61-93D6D8A034C7.jpeg
D6FEC007-D8F8-4718-92B1-745FF4E8E673.jpeg
Nightforce
I trust them on my guide rifles and on my lower 48 hunting rigs.

Idk, I have heard from some friends that USO has had some QC issues and they aren't as reliable as they once were - no personal experience. Why not leave the rings on the scope so you can just throw it right back on the pic rail and shoot a group?

he probably wanted to make sure he didn't scuff his rings! :D

Like most in here, my vote is Nightforce also. I have two NXS's and an ATACR. I feel the 5.5-22 and 5-25 are the best compromises on magnification. It's just a tad too high for the close shots I can get in PA but perfect for longer shots in AZ. I try to baby my rifles but one NXS has been beat around with any issues. I use Nightforce rings as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but check out Zero Compromise Optics. Take a look at the videos where the guy drops his rifle on the ground multiple times and then the group he shoots after. Should give you some confidence.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Outdoor---Sporting-Goods-Company/ZCompOptic/posts/

Certainly it's a buy once cry once deal but after talking to a few people and then buying one...I was impressed enough to buy another...I'm still crying over it. Haha. They are as good as it gets. Depending on what kind of features you like it seems like it's really a toss up between them and Tangent Theta. I had a Schmidt 3-20x US and got rid of it for several reasons.

Nightforce ATACRs are excellent, durable scopes. Personally though, the fact that the entire ocular rotates when you rotate the magnification ring drives me insane. It's a non issue if you aren't running lens covers but if you are it's extremely annoying.

My hunting rifles wear Swarovski scopes. They have seen some tough handling and weather. I have never had any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts