Long Range Hunting Optic opinions

I have the Swaro X5i 5-25x56 and it's main use is for hunting and long range practice. So far I can't find anything I dislike about it. The glass, eye box and tracking are what you would expect from Swarovski. I checked out all the other scopes you mentioned in person before I made up my mind

I have two of the X5 and they are a great hunting scope. I also have a VX6 HD and it's a nice scope as well, but I like the Swarovski better.

If money is not much of an object you're talking about top line optics the ATACR with the 30m tube and 9.5 to 3.2 exit pupil is going to be a lot more comfortable to get behind at 18 power. The vertical and horizontal adjustment are best in class they're a heavier scope if that's an issue like 12 oz more than the Swarovski. The ATACR weighs over 2 pounds.

I have several scopes with exit pupils in the 2.8 range like all the others you mention and at 15 power it can be difficult to get on game especially if it's moving sometimes you have to turn down to 5 power get on em and turn back up.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I can see how ffp could be useful for competition shooters, but as a hunter who will very rarely shoot past 600yds on game, my hold for windage isn't really that big of an issue. Having crosshairs I can see under all magnifications and conditions is more important.

I don't know what kind of bullet you're shooting, but I can reference something from my world: with a 6.5mm bullet, anything between a 120 going ~2700fps and a 140 going ~2500.... as low as a 6mph full value wind will move the POI an entire foot at 600 yards. A 10mph wind and you can double that to two feet. I don't know about you, but that's enough for a clean miss or a gut shot in my world. Maybe you've already done the math and I'm assuming things. IF you haven't, I'd encourage you to not dismiss the wind as "not that big an issue" just because it's only 600 yards.

Regarding the ATACR and not being able to see the FFP reticle under all magnifications and conditions......... That's what the illumination is for. All it takes is the quick push of a button. Sounds like you've already got your mind made up on the Swaro and that's definitely a fine scope. But if I were making a habit out of twisting turrets, I'd suck up the extra pound and carry the NF. In fact, that's the exact decision I made myself. I once owned a nice Swaro. I still own an ATACR 4-16x42. It's amazing.

I have the vx6 hd 3-18x44 and have really liked it for targets <500 yds and hunting. I looked through both z5 and vx6 hd, not huge difference if any to me. I did like the German #4 reticle on the z5 though, but I wanted illuminated reticle so went with vx6 hd.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.