advice on optical set up for long range hunting

locotrician

Invisible
So what are you guys using for spotting your game? im looking for what you have in the field with you i.e. you have a set of 6x binocs and a pair of 10x binocs ? you have two pairs , three , four ? and why and as far as your spotting scope you use just one or do you have two "coupled" together as a set of high power binocs? secondly what do you use and what do you recommend as for as Brand name model and magnification ? i dont have the money to spend on a complete swarovski or leica set up but i can afford better then bottom end stuff too. i have had my eye on the bushnell stuff not the low end i dont like their cheap stuff i have been lookin at the the elite series and the new excursion, it actually has ED glass but am also partial to the better nikon and leupold stuff but there are brands out there i am not familiar with like minox and vortex. sorry for the long read but your advice/experience is much appreciated.

Given where you live you should know or at least heard of a guy named Darryl Cassel. He is perhaps the greatest long range elk hunter I know of. He will recommend a Kowa 82 mm or better without ED glass as the best for the money you lay out. Do not get the variable eyepiece, it is just junk and useless and about the most money I have wasted in a while, Darryl advised me not to buy it but I did anyway. Go with the 22WA and 32WA and switch them as you need them.

I also use the Swaro SLCs 10X50 propped up on a Cabelas shooting stick with the head inverted.

My gear is heavy and not for the faint hearted. :D

Secondly, given where you live, go see Kevin Cram. He has lots of good stuff to see.

I saw a Bushnell Excursion review on here and the glass looked great, and I looked through one yesterday and the glass WAS great. I want one as soon as I have the money!

I use a pair of 10X42 Leica Ultravids most of the time and I also have a pair of Swarovski 15X56 binoculars that I like to use when Antelope hunting.

I have to agree with Bob, Kowa makes one of the best Spotting scope in the business

For simply spotting game the first rule is always use the best glass you CAN afford that also gets along with YOUR eyes. The second rule is mount them on a tripod. The tripod helps in several ways. One, you can spot way more stuff when the image is still versus minor movements caused by hands and arms. You WILL see many things you will miss 99% of the time. Also the motions cause headaches and eye strain. A still picture prevents this. Also because your eyes head and arms arent killing you, you will glass longer and more often. This also leads to spotting more game. The 3rd key is for you to be comfortable. Use a stool or foam pad for comfort. Again, the more comfortable you are, the longer you will sit there and glass. Once game is spotted, then the spotting scope can come out to size the critter up for legal status or trophy quality or not so quality.

Not everybody can or will spend mega bucks for binos and scopes. Just get the best you can afford. Remember, the best for somebody else may not be the best for you. Test various models and makes side by side in cloudy and sunny conditions as well as evening with and without a tripod. Let your eyes tell you.

i did spend a fair amount of money for the scope on my rig , its a leupy mark 4, well thats a fair amount of money for me to spend on a scope anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.