Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

What happened to yours? I would like feedback so I am not pushing crap info. My experience, sample size being exactly 7 (lol), I have had zero issues.
I was a little caught off guard by your swfa choice, but I have never owned one, and honestly thats why I started this thread. I want to hear what peoples choices are and why. I hunt in tough country and its not uncommon to take a spill and roll down a hill or have a horse slip and lose its footing and slam your scabbard into the side of a mountain (recently happened to me).

My first thought is as many of you have already said is Nightforce. Maybe this isn't what this topic was started for. But how much does a good mounting system and being done right have to do with it?

I think we should start another thread for mounting systems. In my horse fall debacle it was my rings that failed. I was using DNZ Freedom Reaper two piece on my 20moa rail and the back ring slid up on the rail on impact causing the scope to torque down and to the left. DNZ customer service was great, I sent them my rings and the confirmed they were tweaked and sent me a new set.

Well, if other people dont chime in, your thread will turn into a Nightforce promotional. Nightforce are nice scopes, no doubt about it, but other scopes can be nice as well.
Geez, I know...there have to be others out there as equally tough as nightforce? Maybe not. Like I said, hunt of a lifetime or life on the line, what scope do you want that you know will hold zero. On my short list of scopes I am looking at is the Mark V HD, S&B PMII, NX8, ATACR, AMG. Never owned any of them tho. I am not necessarily looking for reviews of just these scopes. Want to know what everybodys answer is to the original question.

Geez, I know...there have to be others out there as equally tough as nightforce? Maybe not. Like I said, hunt of a lifetime or life on the line, what scope do you want that you know will hold zero. On my short list of scopes I am looking at is the Mark V HD, S&B PMII, NX8, ATACR, AMG. Never owned any of them tho. I am not necessarily looking for reviews of just these scopes. Want to know what everybodys answer is to the original question.
If my life depended on it I would take the SWFA 10X HD anywhere at any time without hesitation

Lots of positive reviews on the swfa all over the interwebs. Literally not a single negative review to be found about the turrets ability to track, rtz and hold a zero. Some user complaints about the reticle, eye box, reticle size on the variables etc. etc.
That scope has an interesting origin story as well, started as a tasco super sniper that was awarded a contract( for what that's worth) and then the parent was purchased from tasco.

I broke one of their fixed 6x(Swfa, not tasco), front lens detached itself and the scope fogged over. It was my one and only experience with them so far. Prior to it doing that it did indeed hold zero splendidly

I have no issues with the SWFA, like the buggers for what they are but I though the thread was about the toughest, as in top of the heap, the SWFA is not that although a good choice it does not have the most robust turret system, and is middle of the road for turret function. The NF is heavy and has the reputation for a reason for being bullet proof, it's well earned!!

........In my horse fall debacle it was my rings that failed......

If they hadn't maybe the scope would be trash.

I'm always amazed at what we expect from 4 tiny screws.

They all break. I've had good luck with Leupold's Mark 4 line. Probably their VX-2, 2-7X is one I put the most hard miles on. I like my Nightforce's, but they came at an age when I don't challenge the equipment much.

I think the success I've had with the 2-7 is it doesn't weigh 3 lbs. Easy on the test of the system.

I know not many people here like him, but Jim Shockey has done more "hunt of a lifetime" hunts than anyone else and he doesn't rely on Nightforce for them.

Pretty much every mid level and greater scope made these days will hold zero during hunts and falls from horses...we aren't jumping out of helicopters with our hunting rifles.

Besides, no matter the scope, if you hit it hard enough that you think it got knocked off zero you should test fire it before shooting at an animal anyway.

Nightforce mounted atop Seekins rings and bases has never let me down. I've tried Vortex, Bushnell, Burris and a few other "tactical" lines from various makers but they all pale in comparison to NF!
I have 3 from the NXS line and 2 SHV. IMHO the SHV line is the best bang for your buck in a hunting rig.

I know not many people here like him, but Jim Shockey has done more "hunt of a lifetime" hunts than anyone else and he doesn't rely on Nightforce for them.

Pretty much every mid level and greater scope made these days will hold zero during hunts and falls from horses...we aren't jumping out of helicopters with our hunting rifles.

Besides, no matter the scope, if you hit it hard enough that you think it got knocked off zero you should test fire it before shooting at an animal anyway.

Shockey is sponsored by Leupold?

Are you saying a leupold vx3i is just as tough and will hold zero just as well as a nightforce ATACR?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.