Tinmey trigger shoe sticking

Lefty7mmstw

I am having issues getting a timney trigger for my m700 in 7stw to consistently work properly. At times the safety will act sticky and at the trigger shoe will try to stay in the back (fired) position unless the trigger pull is a good bit higher than before.
I just fitted the rifle to a new stock; is this a symptom of accidentally getting dust in the trigger od did I do something else like bend it during the fitting?
I did do the faq's on the Timney site and thought I had the problem licked but it seems to persist now that I've tested it for a few cycles.

Last edited:
I'm kinda thinking it was crud in the trigger... I re-did the adjust and made sure the stock was relieved properly.
I was working the trigger on my bench with the barrel/ action reversed in my cleaning saddle (whole shebang out of the stock) and a bag of lead shot holding her down. suppose I could have broken out the bbl. vise, but I didn't.
I've got it working not albeit at a bit higher trigger pull than before. I guess she must still have a bit of crap to work out so I'll clean/ flush a few times before I consider it a safe weapon to field.

Trigger and safety reliability are a must for any firearm.
If foreign materials have got in the trigger, The trigger needs taken down and a complete cleaning job checked for burrs and free movement. If the trigger is not working out of the stock, The trigger would be the place to start. Then check stock and bottom metal as the rifle is reassembled.
Safety First and Good Luck in finding and curing the problem.

I am having issues getting a timney trigger for my m700 in 7stw to consistently work properly. At times the safety will act sticky and at the trigger shoe will try to stay in the back (fired) position unless the trigger pull is a good bit higher than before.
I just fitted the rifle to a new stock; is this a symptom of accidentally getting dust in the trigger od did I do something else like bend it during the fitting?
I did do the faq's on the Timney site and thought I had the problem licked but it seems to persist now that I've tested it for a few cycles.
I've had the exact same problem especially with the safety but I fix my problem I put in a trigger tech and have not looked back anybody want a used Timney Calvin elite for cheap?

I've had the exact same problem especially with the safety but I fix my problem I put in a trigger tech and have not looked back anybody want a used Timney Calvin elite for cheap?
I might just do that... sewing up a bullet hole ( or digging a 6 foot hole) is a heck of a lot more expensive than a new trigger...

I might just do that... sewing up a bullet hole ( or digging a 6 foot hole) is a heck of a lot more expensive than a new trigger...
There are some things in life I will not take a chance on and that triggers definitely one. I was just kidding about sending it to timney and then selling it that trigger will never go anywhere it will eventually go in the garbage I do not want that hanging over my head

Often a Timney will bind on the trigger guard slot On a 700. A little work with a jeweler's file should free it up.
We're going back 20 years but the Smith that installed mine put a washer underneath the trigger guard but now with a trigger tech i don't need them

Often a Timney will bind on the trigger guard slot On a 700. A little work with a jeweler's file should free it up.
I just read the brochure from a Timney trigger today. It states that their trigger is wider than factory Remington and the opening will possibly need to be opened up.