Cases sticking - Help

One_Duck_Limit

My buddies 7mm STW has issues. After firing a round the bolt handle lifts fine, but the case won't extract from the chamber. We have to tap it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. We have tried both Remington and Nosler brass. Seated the bullet on and off the lands. We are way below max loads according the books and chronograph. We have checked and re-checked the headspace measurements. We have cleaned the chamber several times. At this point I think it's a rough chamber. What do you all think?

My buddies 7mm STW has issues. After firing a round the bolt handle lifts fine, but the case won't extract from the chamber. We have to tap it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. We have tried both Remington and Nosler brass. Seated the bullet on and off the lands. We are way below max loads according the books and chronograph. We have checked and re-checked the headspace measurements. We have cleaned the chamber several times. At this point I think it's a rough chamber. What do you all think?

When you say rough chamber do you mean the surface of the chamber is rough due to machining marks?

It would have to be really rough I be thinkin. Is he sure the extractor is working properly? Only time I've seen a case stick in the chamber is when the round was loaded extremely hot, or when there was case head separation. Even with the separation, the base of the case still ejected. Since you mention loads are way below max, I'd suspect the extractor...?

This rifle sounds like the Winchester model 70 "new pre-64" in 7STW that I bought new and owned for a brief time before I started hand loading. I was shooting factory Remington ammo from two different boxes and all shots would stick but the third fired round would not extract with the bolt. I traded it off on a Sendero 338RUM and never looked back so I don't know the cause. Since I started "rolling my own" I have been of the mind that it was the factory fodder was loaded too hot but now I am not so sure after reading your experience. Sorry I can't be any help.

After a bit more research I think we found the problem, no primary extraction. My buddies action has been trued. I believe the combination of material removed from the action and bolt lugs, along with a worn bolt handle resulted in the loss of primary extraction. A new bolt handle was ordered yesterday. I'll let you all know if that was the problem. I'll also try to post a pic of the wear on the original bolt handle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts