Kimber 45 Auto Sticking

BridgerMT

So I don't feel like getting on a pistol forum so any help is appreciated here.

I have a Kimber Covert II 5 inch like new maybe 500 rounds thru it.

After putting in a new mag and pulling back the slide to load 1st round it does not fully close after letting go. I have to push it close the rest of the way most of the time only on first round,,have had a few on 2nd and 3rd round tho.

Thanks LRH:D

So I don't feel like getting on a pistol forum so any help is appreciated here.

I have a Kimber Covert II 5 inch like new maybe 500 rounds thru it.

After putting in a new mag and pulling back the slide to load 1st round it does not fully close after letting go. I have to push it close the rest of the way most of the time only on first round,,have had a few on 2nd and 3rd round tho.

Thanks LRH:D

Dirty Chamber? Dry slide? Weak recoil spring?

Those are three things that immediately come to mind.

--md

I may sound weird, but Semi autos are sensitive to different magazines so Try a different magazine.

I number all of mine and find that some shoot better than others,

So I tune the ones that don't do as well to the same dimensions as the best one and that normally fixes any problems.

J E CUSTOM

I may sound weird, but Semi autos are sensitive to different magazines so Try a different magazine.

I number all of mine and find that some shoot better than others,

So I tune the ones that don't do as well to the same dimensions as the best one and that normally fixes any problems.

J E CUSTOM

Yup, that's another thing. I use Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormick magazines in my 1911s. Also, factory ammo, or reloads? A Lee Factory crimp die will solve most issues with reloads.

--md

Is the 'new' mag that sticks an 8rd. or 7rd.? I'd stick with the original 7rds., myself. Metalform makes good magazines. I've been using and recommending them for years without any issues. I think they probably supply other companies who just put their name on them. Many do that with magazines as it costs large $$$$$$$ to 'tool up' to manufacture quality magazines.

Also, they are sensitive to power ratings. Weak loads may not function either.

Step 1, a good cleaning. Hand cycle to look for burrs in the rails.

Step 2, good mags.

Step 3, full power loads, unless light springs installed.

Larry
Tinkerer

Having a Kimber is like having an armelite.Its made not to accept parts or pieces,like magazines from other companys. I have dealt with more than a few of them. Once a company makes mags that will fit it they will change the catch points so they wont work or you will have issues with them. If its a stock mag.that came with it ,its a sraight up mag issue. If its a aftermarket less costly mag.thats whats supposed to happen. You might even find mags that wont work in the same gun made 2 yrs apart. Ruger does the same thing with their mags. You Must Buy My Expensive mag. to keep your gun running. Its how they make their money.With well made guns that might be the only part that needs to be replaced for years.Buy a new kimber mag,and cycle it a few times then let it run.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.