Time for new coyote/target rifle

njc89

I am looking for a rifle to practice longer distances (4-800 yards) at the range, and also use on some cross-canyon coyotes when opportunities arise. This won't be a deer rifle. I'm probably not going to pack this a great distance, assuming it will be on the heavier side. I had been thinking of moving up from my 20" AR to a 243 for the heavier bullets, and less wind drift, while maintaining recoil low enough to shoot all day for a reasonable price. The other option considered was a fast-twist 22-250 or 220 swift. I will likely be reloading to keep costs down. I would love to hear any other suggestions on caliber, as well as rifle models. I have been thinking of a Sako or Tikka Varmint model. Thanks

look at availability of the 224 80 & 90 grain projectiles, then I think you'll have to plan on an aftermarket barrel with a 7 twist, I don't even know of a factory 8 twist 22-250. Aftermarket may really be the only option in 22-250.

good thing is you can now pick contour and length

then compare ballistics of a 22-250 or the like running the 90gr Berger, smk, 80 grainers etc. vs the 243 running the 115's, 105's etc.

I think you'll like the idea of a fast twist 22-250, assuming you can find the high grain high BC bullets.

Though barrel life won't be fun so order two at a time and run a system like a savage that'll allow you to switch your own barrels.

Browning is offering the 22-250 in a few models of their x bolt with a 1:9 - mainly hunting (not varmint) models. Several brands offer 1:8 with a 223. Short of going the custom route, that's probably what I would settle with if I stayed with a 22 caliber. A factory 243 comes in 1:10, with a couple out there offering 1:9.

If you are going to be shooting at 800 yds Just get a 243. If you can find one like I did The New Ruger Percision Rifle is ready to go for long range. mine is a 243 but the 6.5 CM is a good one too.

I have 3 Remingtom 700s in 243 win that I have put fast twist barrels on, two varmint weight 1-7 and 1-8, one standard weight with a 1-7 twist. Just yesterday I popped a coyote at 926 yards, my longest hit on a coyote was just over 1230 yards last year and don't give those shot at under 700 special mention. The Hornady 105 Amax hasn't been hide friendly if used under 600 so trying the Hornady 105 HPBT but the jury isn't in on those yet. The Berger 115 hunting vld has given me problems with penciling through so I'm going to give the 115 Dtac a try. Hope this helps

My cousin put together a 22-250 with an 8 twist 26" broughton. It shoots 80gr bergers at 3250~ and my personal best group is 1 1/4" at 668 yds with that simple little build. Savage action, rifle basix, durastock, nf. I'm thinking some fairy dust got sprinkled on it at some point!
Hth

look at the 6.5 Creedmoor if you are going to try to kill something at 800 yards. Not saying it can't be done with a 6mm or a 224, but shot placement would be much less critical with the 6.5. Lots of variables at 800 yards.

243 or an AI. The AI stabilizes the brass and you can sling the heavy pills with some real speed or slow them down and get some decent barrel life

i read your post and the one rifle that does everything you are asking for and more... 270 win... Less wind drift using 140 gr Hornady SST SP at 3090 FPS.

I am looking for a rifle to practice longer distances (4-800 yards) at the range, and also use on some cross-canyon coyotes when opportunities arise. This won't be a deer rifle. I'm probably not going to pack this a great distance, assuming it will be on the heavier side. I had been thinking of moving up from my 20" AR to a 243 for the heavier bullets, and less wind drift, while maintaining recoil low enough to shoot all day for a reasonable price. The other option considered was a fast-twist 22-250 or 220 swift. I will likely be reloading to keep costs down. I would love to hear any other suggestions on caliber, as well as rifle models. I have been thinking of a Sako or Tikka Varmint model. Thanks

If you're serious about reloading and don't mind a little rifle weight in your hunting adventure, I recommend a 6mmBR in one of the Savage target rifle offerings. Lets face it, you will probably have the opportunity to spend more time shooting long range groups on paper than you will hunt. The 6mmBR in factory Savage with an Accutrigger and a good scope will hold its own in a 600 yard benchrest competition all day long once you learn how to build good ammo and shoot. Sub-2 inch groups will be common @ 600 yards. Recoil is almost non existent, barrel life is excellent, small rifle primers are cheap and readily available (namely CCI 450's are all you will ever need), the best brass in the world made by Lapua is available for less than a $1 each, they can be reloaded at least 10 times (or more if you anneal), and they only take 28-30gr of Varget, or RE15, or H4895, or 8208, or 4320 or...... with 105gr Berger hybrids or VLDs. In fact, some of the best bullets in the world are readily available off the shelf that just plain out work with the 6BR. I could go on and on about this option. The 6BR should be much more popular than it is today. I have done the math and I believe this to be the best compromise of cost, high volume comfort, and without a doubt accuracy. I also happen to own everything you mentioned, so I know from experience. If I knew I was going to do much less target shooting and more varmint hunting, I would build a 6BR with an 8 twist sporter barrel (Brux, Bartlein, Krieger) and a Vais brake on a Remington-type action, HS precision stock, and Jewell trigger with a good quality fine crosshair scope. But that's just me...
Jesse

IMHO. Id go with a 6mm shooting 105 -108 gr bullets. A 6 mm creedmore or a 6 mm ai. Even the 243 ai. A 6mm dasher would do the trick. If you go 22/250 with a fast twist. Ackley Improve it. You'll be glad you did.

Living in NE AZ and having a place 10 min away I can shoot 700yrds. I set up a 4x8 pc of plywood to work with and started at 300yrds working out to 720yrds. Using my AR in 223 and then my Abolts in 204, 22.250 and 270wsm I was amazed at the diff in wind drift with just a 5-7 mph cross wind.
Once out to 500yrds I was seeing an 18" to 24" with all the calibers but the 270wsm. That thing at 500yrds was 4" and at 720yrds around 6". At 720 with the others I had to make a mark 4" in on one side to keep it on the plywood. An eye opener for me in regards to long shots in the flats or cross canyon shooting yotes with much wind to speak of. 140 gr AB at 3100. And I've yet to have one run off and I don't worry about the pelts. It's my lightest gun of the Abolts, weighing in at 9.5 lbs with a brake, syn stock, limbsaver recoil pad and bipod and recoil is very manageable.
But it's my Elk and deer gun as well.

the one that shoots the best group at distance. a sako 85 varmint. or a Remington 700 with Krieger barrel. or an lrpv.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.