New coyote rifle build?

zr600

Ok I'm building a rifle for calling coyotes. We have very long shot opportunities and educated coyotes. So 1000 plus yard shots aren't out of the questions. I currently shoot a 22-243 with 75g amax at 3500. Now I have a bighorn origin short action, Mesa precision altitude stock, Hawkins bottom metal m5 to start for this build. So I ha e thought so I stick with 22-243? I have a reamer I can use from my hunting partner in 22-243ai. I have also been thinking 6creed, xc, 6x47, or a 25creedmoor with the 131s. The 6mm would run 105-110 bullets. The 22cal would proably start with the Berger 85.5. I would like a very flat shooting caliper but want to boost as much possible long range ballistics too. Out to 300 yards would like to keep a super flat shooting round then dial from then on.

Haha, that sounds like a blast! I'm trying to figure out if you have a 22-243 why build another one? If you like it, great keep the one you have, but build something new and different for your next build. I like to tinker with different things. But really if you had 2x 22-243s in the safe which one would you grab?

As far as something different, you'll have to balance the fact that you want flat trajectory out to 300 yards against barrel life and more wind drift. I just built a 25 creed and it would be a great coyote rifle for sure, but is definitely not flat to 300, then again the wind compensation is a lot less and the barrel life will be pretty long. Really all the options you listed would be good coyote rounds. The 22-243AI would be cool but so similar to 22-243 you already have that I'd try something else. 6 creed has tons of good factory options like brass. 25 creed even has brass now (I went with Peterson). An option that's gained a lot of popularity lately that has good brass options is 22 creed, have you considered that one? Would probably be similar performance to your 22-243 maybe slightly slower.

Well I didn't mention the barrel is about shot out on my 22-243.

You'll still have 2 rifles when it's said and done though right? So rebarrel your 22-243 to 22-243 and build something new for your new build. Or are you thinking of selling your action once your 22-243 barrel is done?

Or you could rebarrel your current 22-243 to the 22-243AI and go with 6 creed on your new build. Nice thing about the Origin you have is there are LOTS of pre-fit barrel options for it. You should be able to order up a barrel for it and not have to take it to a smith as long as you don't get too exotic on the cartridge choice. 6 creed would be a great choice in terms of pre-fits.

flat to 300 yards, you cannot beat a .204 ruger with 39 grain SBK around 3850 fps, 1/2" high at 100 yards, right on at 200 yards, -4.5" at 300 yards, but it is mainly a 500 yard rifle. I have a 6XC and it is very accurate, its built on a heavy barrel Remingting action, shoots a 105 grain Berger hybrid 3200 fps with superformance powder. Have a nightforce SHV 5-20x56 it will shoot sub 3" at 700 yards, and I am only an average shot, someone better could shrink this. I have had this bullet stay in coyotes at times and other times it is messy.

It has to be flat to 300 but able to make the long shots in the same gun.

If I were thinking shots semi regular to 1000 on coyotes then I'd be looking at 25 creed, 257 black jack, 6.5 creed, 6.5 prc area. You want the energy for the kill out there. If your thinking 100-600 with the occasional further I'd be looking at 22 creed, 6x47, 6xc, 6 creed or 25 creed.

I know I lost a coyote at just a hair over 500 last year with a 6 creed and 105's. Shot was perfect, Spotter called a good hit, coyote dropped. As I got up from behind the gun (15-20 seconds later) so did he, circled a couple times, and bolted into a swamp and lost the blood trail second he touched water. 25 creed will be seeing some use this year now in my longer pokes

I vote 25 creed cause I'm a quarter bore whore. But if I were building the rifle I would honestly have to say the 6XC has really caught my interest and that would most likely be the rifle I would personally build.

Some of the things that I think about when I go for a new rifle are , What are my weather conditions like on an average day , are they windy ? What is the average temp. when I'm hunting , what is the altitude that I will normally be shooting at . What weight of bullet do I want to use , what bullet configuration do I want to shoot for my area and the conditions I normally shoot in . If it's windy a lot ,like where I live I may want a heaver bullet with as high a BC and a good shaped Ogive , do I want boat tail or flat base bullets , do I want spire points , hp's , solids , jacketed lead core ect. . After I decide on the bullet I want to normally shoot then I think about what caliber has these assets and how much effort I want to put into brass prep do I need to make brass or just fireform to my chamber . Then I want to match the twist rate to the bullet I want to shoot as well as a good length for the barrel with the bullet weight , shape and powder I want to try and reload with . Do I mind re barreling or do I want a caliber that doesn't burn up my barrel after a few hundred rounds . What trigger would I want to put on my action , what stock material and design do I like for my body type and hunting style , what length of pull fits me best . What metal do I want the action and barrel made of. There are so many things that play into buying or building a new rifle I can only tell you what might work well for me and my area . Asking what others might build is just a good place to start not an answer to a dilemma that we place on ourselves . In the end it's your time , money and personal preference that will make or break your new rifle in your eyes . Good luck with your decision and please keep us informed as to your choice , the project build and end results so that we may also be better informed for our future endeavors in this area .

I would be reluctant to build anything that was not factory caliber..............reason being, when you go to sell it and move on to something else, its value is low. I normally keep rifles 6-10 years, factory calibers maintain value, wild cats (my findings) do not, they narrow the field of potential buyers. If you are keeping this rifle forever, discount everything I said.
On this note, I have a custom 270 AI that I cannot sell................................at a reasonable level.

I have also found what Reemty says to be true . It's kind of like buying a truck then you put on more to make it fit what you want in a truck you don't seem to get your money back because no two people have the same taste .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.