First AR for coyote and target

banshee1

Hi guys, looking to buy my first AR. I want something for coyote hunting and also for target shooting that is reliable and accurate. My range will be from around 100-300 max yards. I want a reliable well built unit. My choices so far/ Rock River Predator Pursuit or the ATH Carbine and the Daniel Defense Ambush or the M4V5 models. Can any one with knowledge please help.

You would have a hard time going wrong with thar RR Predator. I had that very model for several years. It was hyper accurate, as in .25 or smaller groups. I killed a pile of coyotes with it. It also had a fantastic two-stage national match grade trigger. It is a very good rifle!

I personally love the DPMS sweet 16. Another coyote down Saturday night and it shoots lights out with cheap american eagle 50gr varmint tips. Mutt was a 1 shot DRT... And this is the norm with this bullet. i would never dream of selling it. Posting a couple of pics... But 1 will be in another post below because I'm on my iPad.

image.jpg

I am a firm believer in AR's for coyotes. I have used an Olympic Arms K8, 22" Remington R15, and a 16" Bushmaster carbine. They have all been reliable and accurate. My opinion is that unless you are looking to stretch your range really far, you may appreciate a shorter and lighter barrel. The longer and heavier barrels are great for higher velocity and accuracy, But, a free floated 16" barrel can be very accurate as well while saving a lot of weight and length.

I think that covering a lot of ground is critical to coyote hunting success and saving weight helps you do that and net more dogs. I have come to prefer my 16" bushmaster with a free floated govt profile barrel for general predator use. This setup has proven accurate and powerful in my experience. I have shot the RRA ATH and predator pursuit: I think both are great setups, just a little on the heavy side for my taste. I have no experience with Daniel defense but they have an excellent reputation.

My ideal 300 yard coyote AR would be a free floated 16" barrel of a medium profile with a good trigger on it and a quality scope in the 3-9x range. Handy, Light, Accurate, and fast.

I think dstark is right on. Even a "light" AR isn't super light. Of the three AR's I have used, the 20" light barrel version is my favorite for calling. All of mine are in .204 using 35 grain Bergers.

I like the RR`s. I bought my first one with a heavy target configuration and when I got done changing it it`s a the coyote special, could have saved some big bucks buying one to start with. I bought 2,000 bulk bullets for hunting and when I started to work up a load I shot a .690 group at 100 yards. from a card table. Since this is an off hand rifle for me I never did any work up, I just started loading. I have friends that have DPMS`s and like them as much as I like my RR`s. If someone tells you that you can`t see the front sight through a scope, they are crazy, keep the top clean all the way. I would recommend you get a match trigger too. I would also recommend you top it with a Leupold 3 x 9 or 3 1/2 x 10 scope. Mil. dots help if you know how to use them.

Waiting on my Bushmaster stainless predator AR to come in. 24" heavy barrel. I have heard very good things about these. I guess I will know for sure how it shoots soon enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.