Best time of year for coyote hunting

I just ordered the CS-24. I had ordered both the Fury and the Blaster to compare the two, but was disappointed in both. The Blaster was a huge unit and way too loud....it was apparently nothing less than a larger version of the Fury...a MUCH larger version. The volume was entirely out of the vocal range of small animals, and I can't imagine that coyotes would bite on a sound or sounds that were almost on the volume scale of a 100 watt stereo. A DVD I saw recently reminded me that distressed or dying prey don't ordinarily have voices that are as loud as would be found on the Prairie Blaster. Also this unit is just too bulky to carry (at least for me).

The Fury, on the other hand, is small, light, and provides a good sound. My complaint is that the sound from the horn end of the unit sounds tinny. The horn is too small to give any particular fidelity; as such, the reproduced sounds don't have the accuracy I would expect. The unit has proven successful, and 100 free sounds are available. Again, my main complaint was that of a flat, tinny sound from the horn. Also, I wanted just a bit more volume, since I hunt in some very wide-open spaces.

So...I just ordered a CS-24. Hopefully, the unit will provide a better sound. It also uses the TX-500 remote control, but without a couple of features the Fury provides. The CS is also $110 less than the Fury. You can find all you need to know on the Fox Pro site. Here is the comparison info on Fox Pro: http://gofoxpro.com/php. You will probably have to enter this url by hand. Allpredators also a comparison of the Fury and the CS-24.

As for a battery charger, the Fury has a nice built-in one, while the CS-24 doesn't. This means that the batteries on the CS must be removed and replaced each time you want to charge them. With the Fury, you can just leave the batteries in the speaker unit and charge them via a plug-in cable. The Fury also offers chargers that can be plugged into AC or your cigarette lighter. AC is fine, provided you have an AC source (I do in our motorhome), but if you hunt for extended periods out of a pickup truck, then you should consider the cigarette-lighter plug unit. I don't know about the AllPredator charger. Not a big deal for me. I plan to purchase the AllPredator battery charger. It is a bit more expensive than the one that Fox Pro offers, but the Fox Pro model's capacity is only for 8 NiMH batteries. This works well for the Fury, but the CS-24 uses ten batteries. AllPredators offers a charger that handles ten batteries. The charger (so said the sales guy) turns itself off when the batteries are fully charged, apparently unlike the charger that the Fury offers.

I found that the Fury charger required watching closely to make sure the batteries didn't overheat. If there was an automatic shut-off feature, I failed to see it. Even the Fury owner's manual seemed to side-step the issue of an auto shut-off and of the apparent battery heating problem. This meant that the charger could not be left on overnight because it required monitoring every half-hour or so. Also, the AllPredators model's batteries offered a maximum output (?) of 2600 mAh, whereas the Fury's offered only 2400 or 2500. I don't know if this figure is storage capacity or what, but IIRC, it means that it takes more time for the batteries to run out of juice.

So, as it stands, I have ordered the CS-24 caller with the original 50 free calls. I elected to add 16 additional calls (for $25 additional). I can't imagine my needing any more calls, but if I do, there is room for another 434 calls on the CS unit. If further calls are needed, they can be emailed and downloaded from my iMac, although it might take awhile for me to figure out how to do it. I have not yet ordered a charger. If you want to see my list of calls or if I can answer any questions, contact me at [email protected], or call me at 707-833-2585.

Barry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.