Time for a custom. I have many ??

Hey Roy,
Leavin' the gun would be nice. Then I'd have to pack another on the way in and out. The static set ups are new to me. They just wouldn't work on our Colorado deer hunt this year. After months of pressure, the deer just wouldn't come out into open areas. We could've shot some dandy bulls if we hadn't archery hunted there earlier. Maybe next year. So, we had to still hunt. I'm guessign my 300 is around 12lbs. Carryin' that rig at the ready was a pain. Plus, it doesn't handle nice.

My 270 at nineish pounds handles real nice, but lacks the reach of the 300. I think Jims rifle sounds great. Versatile. That's what I want.

About the caliber, I'm undecided. But, willing to take Jims word for it. With his BR experience and long range hunting experience, he knows. Efficiency, accuracy, good barrel life...

Had a funny conversation on the deer hunt here in Utah kind of relates to the weight / versatility of the rifle. My partner and I were at one of our set up spots. The spot overlooks an huge canyon with several finger ridges, saddles, and other good habitat. You could spot deer from in your lap to a couple miles. As the evening wore down, I took a short break from glassing. While sittin' there I spotted a deer below us around three hundred yards away. I reached to get my rifle on him. Russ, I said, range that buck an' tell me if he's a shooter. I got on the deer and Russ gave me a range of 307. He's pretty small, he says. Four point, eighteen inches wide, five inch forks. I looked at the buck in my scope a minute. Ya want him, russ says? Well, maybe if he was out there at a thousand or so, I said. Scare him off, maybe he'll stop on the next ridge.

Initially I got into long range to extend my effective hunting range. Now, it seems I shoot far for the sake of shooting far. Funny a bucks elligibility to wear my tag is related to how far away he is. My 300 is my first heavy, long range type rig. It has sort of reminded me I want to exend my hunting range, not just move it further away.

Last edited:
Grit,

Thats a real good point you make about people shooting far just to shoot far. I'd rather get inside 300 if possible, but know I have the skill and equipment to hit one at 1000 yards if I have no other options. In my mind the closer the animal ,the more likely I am to guarantee making a precise killing shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to smoke one way out there as much as the next guy. But I wouldn't walk backwards up the hill and away from the animal to just to say I did it ??? Did that make any sense at all ??

Be prepared for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts